Forked PD tree

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Forked PD tree

Post by kisolre »

Moving Tip up the PD tree and creating features there forks the tree:
ForkedPDtree.JPG
ForkedPDtree.JPG (94.27 KiB) Viewed 1035 times

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.27188 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: ad24b32fefe5a7be6afb9e238ab2eeee53d15170
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: Bulgarian/Bulgaria (bg_BG)
Attachments
PlugHolder_forkedTree.FCStd
(174.62 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Forked PD tree

Post by chrisb »

Yes, of course!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Wow!

"Forked tree" was the equivalent of "TNP" back in the old days. That is why the "Tip" concept was reinforced several years ago. At one time it was very easy to fork, now it only happens when the user specifically causes it.

What is your point?

Gene
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:16 pm now it only happens when the user specifically causes it.

What is your point?
And you think I made that intentionally? Could you show a steps that will produce such result, because I cant think of such.
I was at Miirrored and wanted a chamfer. Decided to make it as early as possible so switched Tip to Pocket001. Created the chamfer but did not notice that it was created at the end of the tree instead after Pocket001. Then created the Hole sketch and feature which again appeared at the end of the tree. And when preparing for export I noticed that the slot was not there. But the Hole was the last feature and the Tip was there?!?!?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 pm Yes, of course!
Seriously? You would not expect the newly created features to be inserted between Pocket001 and Pocket002? Are we using the same program?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

kisolre wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:55 pm And you think I made that intentionally?
The "Tip" is the point in the tree that is exposed for new operations. When you change the tip you are changing the point where new features are added.

At one time merely selecting an element not at the end of the tree caused forking. Now it is necessary to specifically move the tip for that to happen.

You moved the tip.

Gene
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

kisolre wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:57 pm
chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 pm Yes, of course!
Seriously? You would not expect the newly created features to be inserted between Pocket001 and Pocket002? Are we using the same program?
I was also expecting to insert the new tip function INSIDE the tree, not forking it.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:48 pm When you change the tip you are changing the point where new features are added.
They are not "added" there. They should be "inserted" there.
It does not mention forking here setting tip
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

This looks like a bug to me. For each solid feature its BaseFeature property should always point to the previous feature in the tree. This is not the case with the uploaded file where Chamfer's BaseFeature property points to Pocket001 rather than the previous feature (Mirrored). The consequence of this is now Pocket002 and Mirrored are left out of the solid feature chain and are no longer part of the tip (Hole).

I have tried to reproduce the issue, but have been unable to do so.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

I also couldn't reproduce by trying to remember what I did exactly... Lets hope it pops again sometime since I move the tip around frequently...