Cannot select line on datum plane

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ArnoldGoat

Cannot select line on datum plane

Post by ArnoldGoat »

Hi
I am new to FreeCAD. I am trying to model an octagonal timber roof frame so I can replace the roof on my gazebo.
I have modelled the rafters (hips) OK, but I need to place noggins (dwangs) in between the rafters. I have created a datum plane spanning the insde edges of 2 adjacent rafters in Part Designer WB, but when I try to create a sketch of the noggin, I can draw the piece on the plane, but I can't select the rafter edges so I can constrain the sketch to them. I hope someone can tell me what has to be done. I am attaching my current file. Apologies if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything. TIA.

Ken

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/New Zealand (en_NZ)
Attachments
roof.FCStd
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cannot select line on datum plane

Post by chrisb »

In the preferences you have enabled to enter SectionView as soon as you edit a sketch. You can switch it off when in Sketcher, or you may consider to set MapReversed=True and edit the sketch from the other side.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ArnoldGoat

Post by ArnoldGoat »

Thanks for your answer, but I am still having problem. I reworked it a bit, so that the rafters are an array in draft rather than in part design as they are separate solids.

I still can't select the edges that form the datum plane as constraints for the noggins. I've tried selecting and deselecting the sectionview toggle.

I have a feeling that I should have asked: "how would you go about modelling a set of 8 rafters for an octagonal pitched roof, with horizontal noggins half way up". Then I might not be in such a mess!

TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I don't really understand the question. Perhaps you can use links to external geometry to do what you are trying to do.
Snip macro screenshot-11632c.png
Snip macro screenshot-11632c.png (109.65 KiB) Viewed 869 times
If the link is to something outside the body, make a shapebinder of it first, then get external links to the binder.
ArnoldGoat

Re: Cannot select line on datum plane, tech draw advice pse.

Post by ArnoldGoat »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have proceeded reasonably well now and with a bit of slicing have got the 4 different different timber pieces modelled in 3D. I now need to do TechDrawing so that I can show the angles and dimensions of the cuts.

The hip rafter is easy enough as there was a view normal to the plane. The others are more difficult.

Can someone tell me how to do 2 views of the noggins, one of the top to show the main bevel, and the other from the end to show the other angle. I know the mitre saw can do it in one go, but I need to determine the angles. I have "DatumPlane" which is the top surface of both noggins; can I use this to specify the tech drawing view?

Ken.