Rotate object while exporting step file

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

Rotate object while exporting step file

Post by leoheck »

Do I have a way to rotate the 3d model during the step export?

I am using Grabcad to visualize my step files and to share them with other people. But when I load them there, there are these buttons to rotate the object. There the Front fits the side, Left rotates it to the front. It is kind of confusing, so I would like to fix the 3d model while exporting to have the same view I have on Freecad, there.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Rotate object while exporting step file

Post by chrisb »

If it is a single object from Part or PartDesign, you can change itsPlacement.
If you have several objects, create a Part container and drag all objects into it. Then change the Placement of the container.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:12 am If it is a single object from Part or PartDesign, you can change itsPlacement.
If you have several objects, create a Part container and drag all objects into it. Then change the Placement of the container.
Makes sense. But this is going to change the way it is placed in Freecad too, isn't it?

Or you are saying to change the placement of th container and also, fixing the placement of the parts inside of it, so both Freecad and another tool would have the same placement?
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

leoheck wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:58 am Or you are saying to change the placement of th container and also, fixing the placement of the parts inside of it, so both Freecad and another tool would have the same placement?
This works. Thanks, Chrisb.