Is it possible to write-protect a part/file?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lupin

Is it possible to write-protect a part/file?

Post by Lupin »

I have a few files that contain models of things that I use every so often (like screws, buttons, servos, aso.), kind of my parts model libraries. I then create links to those external parts when I need them in a document. Is there a way to protect those parts against any (accidental) changes? I tried write protecting the files, but as they files aren't overwritten on change but moved to .FCStd1 and then newly saved as .FCStd, that does not help. I found no other way to in a sense "lock" a part against modification.
freedman
Veteran

Re: Is it possible to write-protect a part/file?

Post by freedman »

You could make a Simple copy of the completed reference part, put the simple copy in a new file and use that as your import target.

This is also a way to edit a part where you need to make changes to an early feature and you can't afford a TNP problem. Making a Simple copy gives you a solid to work from that freezes the model at a point in time.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Lupin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:19 pm Is there a way to protect those parts against any (accidental) changes ?
I have the same problem and didn't find any solution either.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Lupin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:19 pm ... Is there a way to protect those parts against any (accidental) changes?...

I built a solution (not freecad) for a customer that works like this:
there are templates and files on the sever that should not be changed. with each program or system start, these files are copied to the local disk.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad