PartDesign Workbench - Draft On Face Tool Issues

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pelboy13

PartDesign Workbench - Draft On Face Tool Issues

Post by pelboy13 »

Hi all.

I should probably start by saying I'm new to FreeCAD, new to any CAD software in fact, so please excuse my naivety (and possibly stupidity).

I've attached a FreeCAD file and some images to show what I'm trying to achieve. On the Pad called "WireChannelFront_Pad" I'm trying to create an angle at the end, through the full depth. I'm trying to do this using the Draft tool.

DraftToolFailDemo_1.png - this shows the Pad highlighted
DraftToolFailDemo_2.png - because the neutral plane I want to select is the bottom face, and as I can't physically click that where the object is currently positioned, I temporarily move it. I select the face and press the "Make a draft on face" button
DraftToolFailDemo_3.png - I now select the face on the bottom of the object to get the draft on the correct plane
DraftToolFailDemo_4.png - this is how I want it to look. I now want to move the object back to it's original position
DraftToolFailDemo_5.png - when I do this though, the draft is removed and I get the error "Adding face failed on Face26. Omitted". When I inspect the face it's now called Face29.

Is this a result of the topological naming problem I've heard about? Is there a workaround that will allow me to add the draft without having to move the object first?

The end goal is to have similar objects on the diagonal and the other side to create a channel. Is there a better way of achieving this (sorry, appreciate I'm going off the original topic a bit), please?

These are my FreeCAD installation details:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24267 +99 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: Branch_0.19.3
Hash: 6530e364184ce05ccff39501e175cf2237e6ee4b
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

Thanks very much, any help is appreciated.
Matt.
Attachments
DraftToolFailDemo_5.png
DraftToolFailDemo_5.png (197.65 KiB) Viewed 393 times
DraftToolFailDemo_4.png
DraftToolFailDemo_4.png (139.41 KiB) Viewed 393 times
DraftToolFailDemo_3.png
DraftToolFailDemo_3.png (152.78 KiB) Viewed 393 times
DraftToolFailDemo_2.png
DraftToolFailDemo_2.png (167.66 KiB) Viewed 393 times
DraftToolFailDemo_1.png
DraftToolFailDemo_1.png (157.31 KiB) Viewed 393 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Workbench - Draft On Face Tool Issues

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Yes, this is the topological naming problem and PartDesign Draft is inherently suffering from it. You could think about rearranging your model if you really want to use Draft, but you may be better off using another sketch based pocket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pelboy13

Re: PartDesign Workbench - Draft On Face Tool Issues

Post by pelboy13 »

Thanks for your response.

I'll give the Pocket a try.

Thanks.
Matt.