Another broken face error

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mbollinger

Another broken face error

Post by mbollinger »

Hello Forum,

Like many others who have posted on this topic, I am a new user. I am trying to pocket the logo of my agency on some 3D printed parts we're designing. I am struggling with the dreaded broken face error. I've gone through many posts on this same topic in the forum and I *think* my part is closed and am baffled as to why I am still getting this error. I've gone through the sketch validation and fixed any issues there as well. I've dragged each segment around and they seem to be connected.

My end goal of this part of the project would be to copy a functioning sketch onto the body of the other parts I'm designing. Hopefully that's doable but need to work through this error first.

This logo is made up of mostly b-spline segments except for the line segments I added manually to try to get it to not be broken. Is there an issue with b-spline segments not connecting with each other?

What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Version info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
NOAA Logo_export.FCStd
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Another broken face error

Post by GeneFC »

I have no idea why you used so many bsplines instead of simple arcs, but in any case here is where the problem lies. The sketch validator identified those points. I dragged the two points to show where the error lies.

Solution is left as an exercise for the student. 8-)

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.47 KiB) Viewed 927 times

Gene
mbollinger

Post by mbollinger »

Thank you for your help, Gene.

I would never had designed that with so many b-splines... The logo was an attempt at importing an SVG using the workflow described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvEud4PDCRU

I went through the "O" issues that you defined above and deleted the line. I also went in and manually replaced the b-splines with arcs since you kind of hinted at that. I made sure that each of the start and ends of the arcs/lines line up. Again, it passes the sketch validation on my end, but will not Pad or Pocket with the error "Failed to validate broken face".

I've attached the project again with the arc/bspline replacements and the passed validation. Any ideas at this point?
Thanks,
Mike
Attachments
NOAA Logo_export2.FCStd
(27.08 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Try to suppress some forms. If you suppress the text, it's ok.

(the problem is : line inside line inside line : illegal (hole in O))

You should work in 3 separate sketches with bird and text.
Attachments
Capture du 2022-01-27 19-59-08.png
Capture du 2022-01-27 19-59-08.png (38.19 KiB) Viewed 837 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Delete BSplines 83 and 80:
Snip macro screenshot-80fdd5.png
Snip macro screenshot-80fdd5.png (133.65 KiB) Viewed 829 times
But even after doing this Part Design will struggle with this sketch, perhaps because of the nested wires. (At least it struggles on my computer. I had to force close after trying to do the pocket.) Drag the sketch out of the body and go to Part workbench. Extrude the sketch, then cut it from the Body. Select the Body in the tree view, then the extrude, and do the boolean cut in Part workbench.
Snip macro screenshot-d45ed3.png
Snip macro screenshot-d45ed3.png (88.38 KiB) Viewed 829 times
You should also detach the sketch from xy_plane001 since it's no longer inside the body to avoid out of scope warnings.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mbollinger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:43 pm Again, it passes the sketch validation on my end, but will not Pad or Pocket with the error "Failed to validate broken face".
ValidateSketch doesn't do anything on its own. You should use the buttons for missing coincidences, possibly with increased tolerance and you should "Highlight troublesome vertices" which shows you two unconnected ends:
SnipScreenshot-ab2ad4.png
SnipScreenshot-ab2ad4.png (13.84 KiB) Viewed 780 times
But even if you fix this, it will not pad, because you can have only one level of nesting. So you will have to split the sketch in two, one with the wavy shape for a pocket, and one with the letters for again a pad.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is what I proposed above:
SnipScreenshot-2eeca9.png
SnipScreenshot-2eeca9.png (29.87 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Attachments
NOAALogo_cb.FCStd
(149.19 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:00 pm But even if you fix this, it will not pad, because you can have only one level of nesting. So you will have to split the sketch in two, one with the wavy shape for a pocket, and one with the letters for again a pad.
I missed that. :oops:

If you delete the upper portion of the circle the (repaired) letters work fine.

Gene