How to make "top view" the "bottom view"

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RotaryRocket

How to make "top view" the "bottom view"

Post by RotaryRocket »

Hello all, I'm new to freecad and i have designed my first creation. After printing my part, i realized it may be more efficient on filament usage to print it top side down. The reorient drawing will not allow me to make the top the new bottom.

Is there a way to do this? TIA
openBrain
Veteran

Re: How to make "top view" the "bottom view"

Post by openBrain »

Isn't that something that should me managed with the slicing software ?

With FreeCAD, IMO the simplest method is to place everything in a Std_Part and rotate it.
RotaryRocket

Post by RotaryRocket »

I'm not sure. I'm using Cura and I've browsed around there and couldn't find anything to flip the model there either.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

RotaryRocket wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:08 pm I'm not sure. I'm using Cura and I've browsed around there and couldn't find anything to flip the model there either.
I suggest you look at the Cura tools for moving an placing the imported models on the bed.

They can move and rotate the model very easily.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

There is another use-case for this request: there are many conventions about what is "up":

1) for architectural usage, Z is UP, X is side-ways
2) for aeronautics, Z is UP, X is along the main axis towards the rear, (mostly) opposite to the velocity vector, and Y is side-ways
3) for space-engineering in low-Earth-orbit, Z-is DOWN, pointing towards the surface, X is along the velocity vector, and Y is side-ways
4) for optical design, Z is along the optical path, so mostly Y is UP, X is RIGHT, and Z is towards the user

Unfortunately, the FreeCAD 3D-cube in the corner has these values hard-coded, it's not possible to change even the text in it. It would be nice to be able to adjust the meaning of these views. The same is true for TechDraw: impossible to know in advance what "Top View" will give you.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
RotaryRocket

Post by RotaryRocket »

Thank you everyone for the input! I found the rotate key within my slicer.

Its kind of like when I look for something for 20 mins and then go to ask my wife where it is and then i see it just staring at me :)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Zolko wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:34 pm Unfortunately, the FreeCAD 3D-cube in the corner has these values hard-coded, it's not possible to change even the text in it. It would be nice to be able to adjust the meaning of these views. The same is true for TechDraw: impossible to know in advance what "Top View" will give you.
It's possible, there just isn't a built-in GUI for that, try cube-menu addon, not sure if it still works since it's unmaintained, worst case you can look in the code there what the parameters for those labels are, I don't think that has changed.

For the specific case of this topic, changing what the cube considers as top is irrelevant, the slicer will still consider z as the up direction by default. Best solutions for this case have already been mentioned: rotate in the slicer or add a rotation to the object's placement in FreeCAD