Editing Bodies of PartDesign Boolean

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tsadowski

Editing Bodies of PartDesign Boolean

Post by tsadowski »

Hello,

I am trying to modify the tool bodies of a PartDesign boolean cut. It is possible to edit the sketches. But I cannot make the bodies visible to add fillets. Is there a trick short of deleting and recreating the boolean operation to edit the tool bodies?

Cheers,
Torsten
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Editing Bodies of PartDesign Boolean

Post by kisolre »

Set the visibility or something of the boolean to Tools instead of Result.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

tsadowski wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:14 am I am trying to modify the tool bodies of a PartDesign boolean cut
You may also show us more from your model. There are very few cases where it is sensible to use this technique in PartDesign.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tsadowski

Post by tsadowski »

It is a cylinder for a steam locomotive.
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-01-28 23-21-39.png
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-01-28 23-21-39.png (326.36 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
The steam passages are made by "cores" like in a casting.
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-01-28 23-22-47.png
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-01-28 23-22-47.png (335.99 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
I becomes really too unwieldy as a continuous PartDesign body. Maybe I will simply delete the Cut operation, move the real bodies to a different part and operate with clones.

Or is there maybe an option to "suppress" an operation in the feature tree? I use this quite often in SolidWorks. This would free all bodies of the Cut operation and would also suppress all dependent features. The Cut could then be unsuppressed after modifying the bodies and all possible follow up problems could be dealt with.

Cheers,
Torsten
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I unterstand the approach to use multiple PartDesign to get more structure, because we currently don’t have a possibility to structure the inside of a body. Features cannot be disabled temporarily.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:43 pm I unterstand the approach to use multiple PartDesign to get more structure, because we currently don’t have a possibility to structure the inside of a body. Features cannot be disabled temporarily.
But the tip can be moved up the body tree which can be handy in some cases. It can be used similar to a roll back in other software.

It is also possible to use a PDWrapper to parametrically enable/disable a feature of the Body. But, its use must be included during the build up of the body. (I think..., I'm on a tablet and can't ping @TheMarkster)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:52 pm I'm on a tablet and can't ping @TheMarkster)
So am I :)
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

You can use PDWrapper to suppress a boolean temporarily at any time after the boolean has been created even if there follows other features in the body.

Usage:

1) Install PDWrapper from the addon manager, macros section, and run it once, allowing it to create the file it suggests to create.
2) Select the first feature (starting from the top) that you want to suppress.
3) Run the macro, selecting None type.
4) Tell it to follow the last object you wish to suppress, which can be the same as the first if you only want to suppress one object.

You can double click the PDW_None object in the tree to enable / disable the suppressed features.
Snip macro screenshot-9b81c1.png
Snip macro screenshot-9b81c1.png (138.75 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Snip macro screenshot-198d0c.png
Snip macro screenshot-198d0c.png (143.97 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Attachments
pdwrapper_suppress_boolean_example.FCStd
(19.19 KiB) Downloaded 14 times