OpenSCAD - just one-time import?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Chrismettal

OpenSCAD - just one-time import?

Post by Chrismettal »

Hey,

probably just a misunderstanding on my side.
Is opening an OpenSCAD file really just a one-time, one-way import, without being able to modify parameters used in the original file later?
I would have imagined to be able to import an OpenSCAD file as a base feature, while still being able to edit the OpenSCAD code or at least some parameter variables.

I know we can use the OpenSCAD workbench to run OpenSCAD features over our model but I do not see if it is possible to keep the object as OpenSCAD code to be able to recompute / change it.

I would like to use OpenSCAD in conjunction with FreeCAD, either keeping a text editor or OpenSCAD itself open beside FreeCAD and be able to edit the object in code after the import. Importing a parametric model has me editing, saving and re-importing my OpenSCAD code every time I want to do another version with different parameters.

If it isn't currently possible, the feature I am imagining would basically be a single OpenSCAD object in the tree, that has a .scad file as its parent feature.
chennes
Veteran

Re: OpenSCAD - just one-time import?

Post by chennes »

Yes, it is just a one-time import. We've discussed ways of making it "live", but that would be a very large undertaking. Then again, if you are a coder looking for a project... 8-)
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Chrismettal

Re: OpenSCAD - just one-time import?

Post by Chrismettal »

Got it, thank you for clarification.

Sadly I currently am only one of these things. :lol: Will put researching the OpenSCAD workbench code on my backlog then!