Creating bodies from existing geometry

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hacketet

Creating bodies from existing geometry

Post by hacketet »

I am currently using Rhino V7 so I come from a VERY different environment. I designed my current house 40 years ago in AutoCAD v1.0 and then migrated to Ashlar Vellum 3D before starting to use Rhino3D v4. I'm preparing a series of instruction videos for modelers who want to use 3D printing, but can't figure out how to use CAD programs. It is understandable that they would not want to spend $1000+ for a program they may not be able to use, so I am focusing on the programs that are free and have reasonable capability - OnShape, Fusion 360, and FreeCAD. FreeCAD is particularly interesting because the user has complete control of their files and I understand that some of the viewers will be small mom and pop manufacturers who can not use Fusion 360 or OnShape in their free versions.

The big problem I'm having is figuring out how to work with existing geometry. This is a basic concept in CAD and I'm sure it's in there somewhere, but I can't find it. For example in "Angle Move," I want to move the angle from one vertex to another vertex. The curser can identify the two vertices, but I can't find a tool to make the move. The other problem, illustrated in "Filler," is using existing geometry to create a solid, in this case a filler to provide a level surface between the two angles. This is really basic stuff in any CAD progam and I can't believe that it isn't available in FreeCAD.

Can anyone direct me to the tools or processes that will solve these problems?
Filler.jpg
Filler.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 832 times
Angle Move.jpg
Angle Move.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 832 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Creating bodies from existing geometry

Post by NewJoker »

hacketet wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:03 am For example in "Angle Move," I want to move the angle from one vertex to another vertex. The curser can identify the two vertices, but I can't find a tool to make the move.
If these are separate bodies, you can use the Std TransformManip tool or add-on Manipulator Workbench. In more complex cases it might be necessary to introduce the concept of Assembly.

hacketet wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:03 am The other problem, illustrated in "Filler," is using existing geometry to create a solid, in this case a filler to provide a level surface between the two angles.
Once in the sketch, you can use the Sketcher External tool to project the edges of the existing geometry and use them as a reference for sketching, if that's what you mean.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For such moves you can use the Draft>Move tool with appropriate snaps. Be careful with the working plane.

There is also the addon Manipulator workbench providing such moves.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

as chrisb Draft Move Draft_Move Image

for raccord 2 faces tray this macro: Macro_D_Un_Jour_Raccord_2_Objects_By_Its_Faces (forme face 1 to forme face 2)

for along one face tray Draft trimex Draft Trimex Image

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

hacketet wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:03 am .. "Filler," ...
Here's a suggestion for "fill" for those who like to work out-of-the-box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZYx7-KkVCY

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

hacketet wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:03 am ...I want to move the angle from one vertex to another vertex. ...
here is an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYFMyoMh4Q

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad