[SOLVED] How do I offset faces in PartDesign?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ifohancroft

[SOLVED] How do I offset faces in PartDesign?

Post by ifohancroft »

I am recreating some Fusion 360 parts in FreeCAD's PartDesign because, well FreeCAD > everything else, however, I've reached a point in the model's tree in Fusion 360 where certain faces are selected and offset with 0.25mm, but I couldn't find something like this in FreeCAD.

Here's what's happening in Fusion 360:

1. The part before any offset of the faces:
1.PNG
1.PNG (73.29 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

2. The faces selected but not offset yet
2.PNG
2.PNG (69.95 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

3. The part with the faces offset
3.PNG
3.PNG (65.71 KiB) Viewed 1742 times

Is there a way to achieve the same result in FreeCAD (Ideally in Part Design)?
Last edited by ifohancroft on Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
user1234
Veteran

Re: How do I offset faces in PartDesign?

Post by user1234 »

ifohancroft wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:35 pm I couldn't find something like this in FreeCAD
An only face(s) from solid offset is not implemented in FreeCAD and especially no offset in PartDesign. Keep in mind, that one of the FreeCAD weakest points are offsets.

Greetings
user1234
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

user1234 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:12 pm
ifohancroft wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:35 pm I couldn't find something like this in FreeCAD
An only face(s) from solid offset is not implemented in FreeCAD and especially no offset in PartDesign. Keep in mind, that one of the FreeCAD weakest points are offsets.

Greetings
user1234
Thank you! That's unfortunate.

Is there some other way to achieve the same result?
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

ifohancroft wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:51 pm Is there some other way to achieve the same result?
If you have existing model, which you imported and use as base feature, no really. Using the existing geometry to reverse build up the geometry and adapt it. In your frame example, make a section with the correct measurements from the frame and take a frame curve for a sweep, then subtract it.

If you have no existing model, also not really, just build it up to the correct (adaptable) measurements, as should anyway.

Greetings
user1234
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

user1234 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:22 pm
ifohancroft wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:51 pm Is there some other way to achieve the same result?
If you have existing model, which you imported and use as base feature, no really. Using the existing geometry to reverse build up the geometry and adapt it. In your frame example, make a section with the correct measurements from the frame and take a frame curve for a sweep, then subtract it.

If you have no existing model, also not really, just build it up to the correct (adaptable) measurements, as should anyway.

Greetings
user1234
I am not importing a model. I am looking at the dimensions of the model inside of Fusion 360 and recreating it from scratch in FreeCAD.

Would you please ellaborate on 'make a section with the correct measurements from the frame and take a frame curve for a sweep, then subtract it'?

Here's the model I'm talking about btw: (attaching it)
Attachments
Baseplate.FCStd
(487.26 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

As if you built it up in FreeCAD, it is much more easier. You also have the sweep sketch anyway, just adapt it.

Here you can easy make an parallel line for the offset. When you constraint it rectangular to the original line, it is an offset. And when you make it for each line, you can make an equal offset for each, so only need adapt one constraint to change all line at the same time.
0.png
0.png (54.39 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

I do not know, if it intended, but generally when you offset it in the remove way, the result in no plane more.
1.png
1.png (33.79 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

Greetings
user1234
Attachments
Baseplate_edit.FCStd
(365.93 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

user1234 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:13 pm As if you built it up in FreeCAD, it is much more easier. You also have the sweep sketch anyway, just adapt it.

Here you can easy make an parallel line for the offset. When you constraint it rectangular to the original line, it is an offset. And when you make it for each line, you can make an equal offset for each, so only need adapt one constraint to change all line at the same time.

0.png

I do not know, if it intended, but generally when you offset it in the remove way, the result in no plane more.

1.png

Greetings
user1234
Thank you! This worked like a charm. I still need to compare all resulting sizes to that of the Fusion 360 model, but I'm considering this one solved.

I am not entirely sure what you meant with 'I do not know, if it intended, but generally when you offset it in the remove way, the result in no plane more.' but considering your drawing, I imagine you mean the curve that forms. Yes, that is intentional.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

ifohancroft wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:52 am I am not entirely sure what you meant with 'I do not know, if it intended, but generally when you offset it in the remove way, the result in no plane more.' but considering your drawing, I imagine you mean the curve that forms. Yes, that is intentional.
Yes, i meant exactly this.

Greetings
user1234
ifohancroft

Re: [SOLVED] How do I offset faces in PartDesign?

Post by ifohancroft »

How would I fake the offset if the part is created like this?
Best-read-simplest-but-no-offset.FCStd
(59.13 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] How do I offset faces in PartDesign?

Post by chrisb »

ifohancroft wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:10 am How would I fake the offset if the part is created like this?
Well, it would be best to not create it like this. Because for an offset you would need another sweep in the style as shown by user1234. And since that sweep could easily remove all of the excess, you would have a simpler model by modeling only one sweep.

Edit: several typos and whole words missing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.