Sketcher

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mytwinbud

Sketcher

Post by mytwinbud »

When I start a new project in part design, it all goes well until I select a tool. When I do it goes from red to ghost, but then will not draw in the sketch. I have tried line, circle, etc. All perform the same. When I try to close, it tells me I am in edit mode and will not let me out until I close the task. I know I must be doing something wrong, but cannot identify what it is. HELP!
ediloren

Re: Sketcher

Post by ediloren »

Please read the topic "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help " before asking for help.
It explains how to include useful information to troubleclear your issue.
Enrico
mytwinbud

Post by mytwinbud »

Sorry bout that....first post. I read it but posted without the info.
Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.14.3389
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.5.1
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

You may have a look at the sketcher tutorial: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... r_Tutorial

It goes through all steps in order to make a sketch.

Ulrich
mytwinbud

Post by mytwinbud »

Ulrich,
Thanks for the thought. However, I watched that tutorial (and several others) several times. It just does not allow me to sketch a shape. The tool(s) start off red, ghost when selected but will not sketch, just stays in edit mode until I close it.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

The Geometry tools are not red, those are the Constraints, the Geometry tools are white.

Here are the Sketcher Constraint tools - http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... Menu_Icons

and here are the Sketcher Geometry tools - http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... Menu_Icons

You can not draw anything with the "red" constraint tools. If your not seeing the Sketcher Geometry tools, they are probably hidden under a pulldown or turned off in View > Toolbars

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
mytwinbud

Post by mytwinbud »

Mark,

Thanks. I understand the tools are white, but I meant that they have "red" points on the ends what ghost when selected.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Please go to Edit --> Preferences / General / Output window, and tick both "Redirect internal Python output to report view" and "Redirect internal Python errors to report view".

Then make sure the Report view is visible by going to the View --> Views menu.

Try again to create a new sketch, then click on a sketch tool and tell us if you see an error message in the Report view (text box at lower left).
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

mytwinbud wrote:When I try to close, it tells me I am in edit mode and will not let me out until I close the task.
You cannot close a FreeCAD document or the program if you are in sketch edit mode, you need to exit from the Task panel. That's normal behavior.
mytwinbud

Post by mytwinbud »

normandc,

I just went throught all of those steps. There is no error message in the report view window when I select the tool. (or attempt to use it. If I right click, the tools become active again. Then when selected they ghost again, but will still not allow the sketcher to work.???