Freecad fails to split a body into two parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Freecad fails to split a body into two parts

Post by chrisb »

knipknap wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:32 pm CheckGeometry finds no issues with the part.
Here I find two issues checking Body - BOPCheck enabled.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I fixed the errors by fully constraining the Sketch. I think the missing tangent was the issue. Now the body passes GeometryCheck, and slicing works.
SnipScreenshot-c852ba.png
SnipScreenshot-c852ba.png (15.73 KiB) Viewed 519 times
Attachments
imit_cb.FCStd
(113.82 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
knipknap

Post by knipknap »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:43 am I fixed the errors by fully constraining the Sketch. I think the missing tangent was the issue.
Thank you, it's good to know that missing constraints can lead to problems during follow up operations, I was not aware of that.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

knipknap wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 pm Thank you, it's good to know that missing constraints can lead to problems during follow up operations, I was not aware of that.
It is not directly the constraints, but rather what they do to the geometry. Angles near 180° caused problems before, but usually with fillets, what I understand a bit better than the issue here.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:43 am I fixed the errors by fully constraining the Sketch....
so it was nothing to do with "...partdsign is not quite ready yet..." :lol: :mrgreen:
glad to see it solved! :ugeek:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bambuko wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:49 pm so it was nothing to do with "...partdsign is not quite ready yet..." :lol: :mrgreen:
Well, that was marked as an "opinion" from someone not being very familiar with it.