Trying to combine a pad with cones and holes

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tjbray

Trying to combine a pad with cones and holes

Post by tjbray »

I am running on an Intel Mac version 19. My original drawing was done on V18 I think.

A year or so ago I drew a VESA mount for my Raspberry PI. I don't know how I did it but it worked. The first screen shot shows that. I drew the base and then I added 3D cones as supports for the circuit board and to allow space underneath for the screws to be flush. I have used this technique a number of times and it always seemed to work, although it has been a while since I did this last.

I tried modifying the old board to add 4 more mounts and it immediately blew up. Components and lines disappeared in strange ways and I couldn't copy and add the cone supports I used before.

So I redrew it. I can't seem to get the initial pad to join/combine properly with the 8 cones and the pocket sketch that was used to create the pockets won't go to the end of the drawing list so that it takes precedence.

I have tried several tutorials such as joining the cones to the pad, and while it appears to work, I can't get the holes into the middle of the cones where the screws need to go.

The screen shots are as follows: 4.06.49 is the original part from last year. The sketch001 is the the hole cutouts.
4.08.13 is what I drew today with the base and the flattened cones in place but there are no holes cut into the cones themselves.
The 4.25.53 one shows the sketch that should cut out the holes.

The 4.08.13 has the cones attached using the Part - Attachment. I have also tried using the Part - Join - Connect Objects. I have combed through various YouTube and tutorials and I haven't found anything that appears to do what I am trying to do.

Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 4.25.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 4.25.53 PM.png (109.61 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 4.08.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 4.08.13 PM.png (484.93 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 4.06.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 4.06.49 PM.png (495.59 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Trying to combine a pad with cones and holes

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You didn't attach the file for inspection, but you should read about the topological naming problem.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
tjbray

Post by tjbray »

I don't think I changed the names at all. I have attached two files in zip format, the Base Vesa Mount and the minimal FreeCad files.

The Base Vesa Mount file is the one I have been fighting with. The minimal file is something that I quickly drew with a pad object and a cone shape put on it along with an attempt to cut a hole in the middle.

What I want to do is combine the cone shapes with the pad and then cut holes in that result using Sketch001.
Attachments
Demo Files.zip
(70.14 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

* Your sketch is over-complex : unreadable !
* Use only PartDesign wb
* KISS : keep it stupidly simple : one idea = one sketch = one function
* Use axis and symmetry
* Cone = Pad + Tapper angle (v0.19 or v0.20 ?)
Attachments
Base VESA Mount_SHALM.FCStd
(67.89 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Capture d’écran 2022-05-18 072113.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-05-18 072113.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Capture d’écran 2022-05-18 072152.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-05-18 072152.jpg (113.24 KiB) Viewed 998 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

you mix the Part and PartDesign Wb
merge base plate and cones in Part Wb
Create a new Body, make a copy of the Fusion in this body as a Basefeature, and a copy of the sketch of the holes,
make a Pocket
Attachments
vesa.JPG
vesa.JPG (25.18 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Base VESA.FCStd
(72.46 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

tjbray wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:58 am I don't think I changed the names at all. I have attached two files in zip format, the Base Vesa Mount and the minimal FreeCad files.

The Base Vesa Mount file is the one I have been fighting with. The minimal file is something that I quickly drew with a pad object and a cone shape put on it along with an attempt to cut a hole in the middle.

What I want to do is combine the cone shapes with the pad and then cut holes in that result using Sketch001.
hmm...a FreeCAD file uses zip format...so you have provided a zip of a zip. :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

drmacro wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:23 am hmm...a FreeCAD file uses zip format...so you have provided a zip of a zip. :roll:
There was 2 files in the same zip. But it's a pain to open a zip.
tjbray

Post by tjbray »

On the Mac I tried to put the Freecad file directly in the web page but it generated an error. I attached a screen shot of what happened. This is on a Mac by the way.

I tried the recommended steps, and it all seemed to work. This did clarify a few steps that I never quite figured out so this was a big help.

It probably would be good to have an easily found example, combining pads, 3d objects, and making holes in them.

I am attaching my final attempt that worked.
Attachments
Final Attempt.zip
(44.15 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 11.47.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 11.47.31 AM.png (238.93 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

* zip : please read above. *.FCStd is already a zip file.
* file : <1Mo in forum (gif ?)
* wb : learn Part wb or learn PartDesign wb. Do not mix them unless it's required.
tjbray

Post by tjbray »

This site will allow me to upload the FCStd file if I use Chrome, not if I use Safari (Mac's default web browser). Based on that, it looks like a bug or you aren't officially supporting Safari.

Using the part design WB or the part WB in isolation isn't a problem. While I may not alway draw in an efficient manner, I do manage to get sketches to be fully constrained. The problem is that I need to build things that are more complex than just simple pad type objects or taking a handful of 3D blocks and joining them together.

FreeCAD is still my choice after going through many of the low cost or free CAD software packages. It has allowed me to learn how to build 3D models but there has been a lot of trial and error.

My goal is to be able to create things that I visualize. As I slowly get better at this, the models get more complex.

This discussion has helped a lot.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 2.47.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 2.47.57 PM.png (417.54 KiB) Viewed 781 times