New-ish user on Ubuntu: Suddenly up-ended

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kellyschrock

New-ish user on Ubuntu: Suddenly up-ended

Post by kellyschrock »

Hi,

I've been using FreeCAD for probably 6 months, so I'm kind of a new user. In the last 2-3 weeks, I've been getting familiar with toolpaths to control my CNC router. I went through the process of setting up toolbits and tool controllers, created some toolpaths, and went back into FreeCAD today to modify something. I've apparently upgraded, and everything regarding tools is totally different now. I can't create a new toolbit at all. If I try, it insists that I provide it with the path to a writable directory in which to store my toolbits. But it won't let me pick a directory! I have to pick a normal file or the dialog box won't let me select it. (It also won't cancel, popping up over and over forever.) Once I do satisfy it by picking a file, it prompts me to create "Shape" and other directories. Which of course it won't do because the "directory" I was forced to specify for it is not a directory, but a file.

After that, I can go into the Toolbit library and create a new toolbit. It prompts me to pick a shape from what looks like a temporary directory. I managed to find the basic shapes to use, and I'm able to create a tool with the right dimensions for what I'm doing. Then I save it, and... nothing. The tool I just created disappears. A 0-length file gets created, and I end up where I started: No tools, no ability to create a plausible toolpath.

Without trying to sound critical, this process seems broken. Shouldn't I be able to create a toolbit file? I'd be happy to create one by hand if that's what it takes. Until I have the ability to specify something in the way of a tool, I'm basically blocked from going anywhere.

Thanks,
Kelly
Bance
Veteran

Re: New-ish user on Ubuntu: Suddenly up-ended

Post by Bance »

Are we supposed to guess which versions you are referring to.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: New-ish user on Ubuntu: Suddenly up-ended

Post by adrianinsaval »

the file dialog thing sounds like a DE problem, are you using gnome or other gtk based DE? look at Fine-tuning and configure your freecad to use it's built-in dialog.