To make solids using sketch or drawing directly in 3d?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
niilav

To make solids using sketch or drawing directly in 3d?

Post by niilav »

Hello everyone!!!
my first post in this forum. Thanks in advance!!!

I've been a Catia user for a long time. To create solid I have always used sketch to draw.
I want to do a small project with FreeCad to see if I can work with it. Is it suitable to use Sketch in FreeCad, or draw lines and so on directly in the 3d environment.
I have watched tutorials on youtube and they seem to use drawing without sketch quite a lot.
Can anyone advise me which is better?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: To make solids using sketch or drawing directly in 3d?

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
niilav wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:53 pm Is it suitable to use Sketch in FreeCad, or draw lines and so on directly in the 3d environment.
I have watched tutorials on youtube and they seem to use drawing without sketch quite a lot.
Can anyone advise me which is better?
There are far more bad videos about FreeCAD on youtube than good ones. You can very well use sketches for feature based modeling in PartDesign workbench. From what I see here in the forum, that's what most of the experts do!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:17 pm ...
There are far more bad videos about FreeCAD on youtube than good ones. You can very well use sketches for feature based modeling in PartDesign workbench. From what I see here in the forum, that's what most of the experts do!
Hmm...just for a full picture, there is no reason not to use a sketch in Part workbench as well.

And, most would consider using a sketch in Part or Part Design workbench the normal workflow.

;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
niilav

Post by niilav »

Thank you for answering the question!

Ok, so then I will use sketc that I understand that the most appropriate way and will not give me problems if the set of solids and relations becomes something more complex.

Thanks!