Modeling corner of frame

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
csetera

Modeling corner of frame

Post by csetera »

I'm slowly learning my way around (parts of) FreeCAD, but continue to run into things that I don't know how to do. What is the best way to take the attached "frame" and model a corner where two of these sections would come together at a 90 degree angle?
frame.png
frame.png (27.98 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
The associated FreeCAD file is attached. I'm running:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.28918 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 69a4963)
Hash: 69a4963ebfdbdda0d069347d013f28f2d6ba687a
Python 3.9.12, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * ExplodedAssembly
Thanks for any insights.
Craig
Attachments
frame.FCStd
(42.34 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Modeling corner of frame

Post by kisolre »

Use existing model for BaseFeature of two new bodies. Position as desired, cut(pocket) unwanted overlaping material form both new bodies. You can use a datum plane in one body for that ant then use SubShapeBinder of same datum plane in the other body to cut it accordingly.
csetera

Post by csetera »

kisolre wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:19 pm Use existing model for BaseFeature of two new bodies. Position as desired, cut(pocket) unwanted overlaping material form both new bodies. You can use a datum plane in one body for that ant then use SubShapeBinder of same datum plane in the other body to cut it accordingly.
Thanks. Do you have any pointers to docs and/or tutorials that would show me how to do this?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Here is a file. I used ShapeBinder instead of SubShapeBinder for the second cut with TraceSupport=true to get a proper plane. Positioning was done by hand.
Your first sketsh is not fully constrained? And instead of that complicated second one you should have used linear pattern.
Attachments
frame_kiss.FCStd
(83.73 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
csetera

Post by csetera »

kisolre wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:10 pm Here is a file. I used ShapeBinder instead of SubShapeBinder for the second cut with TraceSupport=true to get a proper plane. Positioning was done by hand.
Your first sketsh is not fully constrained? And instead of that complicated second one you should have used linear pattern.
Thanks. I will take a look. I will also take a look at the linear pattern suggestion.
csetera

Post by csetera »

kisolre wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:10 pm Here is a file. I used ShapeBinder instead of SubShapeBinder for the second cut with TraceSupport=true to get a proper plane. Positioning was done by hand.
Thanks again for the pointers on this. Linear pattern was especially useful to what I was doing. I was also unaware of the Base Feature functionality, which seems like it would really be helpful. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make that work. If I select the top-level body and create a new Body, I'm not seeing any base feature. If I try to select a child feature and create a Body, I'm seeing the error "body can't be based on a Partdesign feature". I'm obviously doing something stupid here, but not sure what that might be.

Thanks again for all of the help. I love FreeCAD and this community!
Craig
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

@csetera Select the new body, in its properties click the three dot button at the end ot the BaseFeature property line and select the object to use as BaseFeature from the list.
csetera

Post by csetera »

kisolre wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:47 am @csetera Select the new body, in its properties click the three dot button at the end ot the BaseFeature property line and select the object to use as BaseFeature from the list.
Thanks. I don't think I would have ever noticed that. Is that new behavior in 0.20 that isn't reflected in the documentation?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

As far as I recall that is the only way I use it since forever...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

csetera wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:34 pm Do you have any pointers to docs and/or tutorials that would show me how to do this?
Two more possibilities:
1) Select the object you want to use as BaseFeature and create a body
2) For an existing body: In the tree drag the object you want to use as BaseFeature with the mouse on the body
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.