Text in relief along a cylinder

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
CharlieMAC

Text in relief along a cylinder

Postby CharlieMAC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:01 am

Hi folks!

I'd like to write text in relief along a cylinder. I've been trying to use the draft workbench as a starting point, but nothing seems to work. Is it possible to do this type of thing with current state of Freecad?

Best,

Charlie

Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3672 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: b0c157a5ea97dd2bd11658f98f53fc1edefcd456
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.7.0
quick61

Re: Text in relief along a cylinder

Postby quick61 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:02 am

If you really, Really, REALLY, want to take the time, you can rotate and place each letter/number around the cylinder, but in short, no. No GUI tool that will let you do that.

All is not lost however, as this is something that can be easily done in other software, like Blender. If I needed to do this, I would make my text following a circle path, add thickness, convert to mesh and export to .stl, with minimal meshing. Just enough to have it looking right. Then open that mesh in FreeCAD, and with the Part Workbench go to the Part menu and use the Create shape from mesh... Then selecting the new shape, use Part > Convert to solid. Use Part > Check geometry to make sure your new solid is valid and once confirmed, place it on the Cylinder in the desired location and do your Boolean operation.

If my Blender was not tied up at this very moment rendering an animated title, I would be posting an example. So that will have to wait until later on. ;)

OK - I just re-read your post and it says "along" and not "around". If your wanting along, try this -
TAC.png
TAC.png (62.01 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
File - https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwpcf97079xuuwm/TAC.fcstd

Mark

Word size: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3683 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 382e055e9b2d3159de79e3f56ef452b538b51012
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
SoQt version: 1.6.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
CharlieMAC

Postby CharlieMAC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:55 pm

That looks awesome! Is there any tool being developed for doing things like this to be considered as part of a future version of freecad?

Thanks again for your help!
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:41 pm

CharlieMAC wrote:That looks awesome! Is there any tool being developed for doing things like this to be considered as part of a future version of freecad?

In the Draft workbench ...."shape from text" then creatively use booleans in the Part workbench, works well if the letters are placed lineally, if the path of the letters is circular then you have to place the letters individually so that you can adjust their placement and orientation.
quick61

Postby quick61 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:34 pm

CharlieMAC wrote:That looks awesome! Is there any tool being developed for doing things like this to be considered as part of a future version of freecad?

What I did there - in the screenshot and file was all done in FreeCAD. I first made the text string, then extruded it. Next I rotated it 90*. Then I used a cylinder to make a Boolean Cut to make a radius on the back side of the extruded text. Then I used a larger Cylinder for the part to hold the text relief. Placed the Cylinder and made the Final Boolean Cut to produce the Part shown.

That's it. Simple stuff really. :geek:

BTW, If your wanting something like this, it's more or less like I described above. Let me know if anyone want's the FreeCAD file. (3.2 Mb) i had to break the mesh down into individual letters to make solids out of them. ;)
Text_Wrap.png
Text_Wrap.png (61 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
Mark
CharlieMAC

Postby CharlieMAC » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:00 pm

How do you create the radius on the bottom side of the extruded text? Do you have to align it with the cylinder?

Best,

Charlie
quick61

Postby quick61 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:33 pm

In which one? If your talking about the text along the cylinder, then I just used a cylinder the size of the radius I wanted for the ID and made the cut. I did position the cylinder to "about" the center, or to say I didn't use any precise measurements as it was just a quick demo. Then draw back to doing it this way is that the sides of the 3D text shape are still on a right angle. They do not slope to follow the change in radius. You would need to do a Loft between 2 faces that were sized for ID and OD oriented with the conformance. Or, again use an external program, like Blender that has the ability to form 3D text to a path.

Mark
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 am

I'm sure at some point some tool to wrap curves (hence text) unto a surface will be developped. But that may take a while...

I'm guessing someone proficient in python could create a script...