Recompute failed! Please check report view.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Recompute failed! Please check report view.

Post by thomas-neemann »

FUEL4EP wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:50 pm ...
apparently you can still download it

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.17
Last edited by thomas-neemann on Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

bambuko wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:00 pm ...
my people want quick and easy solutions. the thorough (long) way is theoretically better, of course

in this case it seems to work, the radius can be changed as desired

FUEL4EP

Post by FUEL4EP »

Thanks for the link of the outdated FreeCAD version.

Since I am not an FreeCAD expert, can you please shortly sketch the necessary steps of the thorough (long) way ?

Thanks a lot in advance.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

FUEL4EP wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:11 pm ...
something like this is usually done with migration software, which probably still needs to be programmed here. Using the old software should be much easier

drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Done in 0.20:
Snip macro screenshot-f026bf.png
Snip macro screenshot-f026bf.png (161.97 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Attachments
twisted_savonius-mac.fcstd.FCStd
(505.71 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
FUEL4EP

Post by FUEL4EP »

Thanks a lot for your efforts!

I downloaded your FreeCAD file 'twisted_savonius-mac.fcstd.FCStd' and set radius to 140 in the config.

Unfortunately, the reported error is still there.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FUEL4EP wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:45 pm Thanks a lot for your efforts!

I downloaded your FreeCAD file 'twisted_savonius-mac.fcstd.FCStd' and set radius to 140 in the config.

Unfortunately, the reported error is still there.
That is because the constraint scheme is not taking into effect what changes when you jump from 50 to 140. In fact, to any value other than the initial 50.

The related sketches do not follow the changes (because all the related sketches are not adapting to the dimensional change).

The cause could be what is know as "flipping" because the solver is controlled by the constraint scheme. The solver will choose the first valid solution and that may not be compatible with the rest of the model or the expected geometric shape when spreadsheet changes are made. Or, it could be because the sketches are generally not designed well to be completely parametric.

The model I uploaded passes geometry check, so, at least initially, produces a valid model. I simply updated it to use the more modern Part Design Helix tools, I did not re-engineer the model.

Basically, the design (the version I uploaded or the original) it is not parametric.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:01 pm
This is almost spam, why do you link to some shady website when it is perfectly available in the official release page? https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.17
FUEL4EP

Post by FUEL4EP »

drmacro wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:13 pm That is because the constraint scheme is not taking into effect what changes when you jump from 50 to 140. In fact, to any value other than the initial 50.

The related sketches do not follow the changes (because all the related sketches are not adapting to the dimensional change).

The cause could be what is know as "flipping" because the solver is controlled by the constraint scheme. The solver will choose the first valid solution and that may not be compatible with the rest of the model or the expected geometric shape when spreadsheet changes are made. Or, it could be because the sketches are generally not designed well to be completely parametric.

The model I uploaded passes geometry check, so, at least initially, produces a valid model. I simply updated it to use the more modern Part Design Helix tools, I did not re-engineer the model.

Basically, the design (the version I uploaded or the original) it is not parametric.
Thanks for your explanations. It helps to understand that the thorough way is quite long.
FUEL4EP

Post by FUEL4EP »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:24 pm .. when it is perfectly available in the official release page? https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.17
Thanks for this link!