Aligning Origins

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RussG

Aligning Origins

Post by RussG »

In order to be able to join them into one object I’m trying to place the Mount Cone Assemblies (please see the attached FreeCAD file) on the Window Bracket with numerical precision but when I set the Z origin at zero for all three objects the Window Bracket appears in a different location in the 3D window. I don’t know if it’s my lack of familiarity with FreeCAD being a newcomer to the program or if there is a glitch of some sort with my file.

How can it be explained that the Window Bracket shows up at different Z location in the 3D window when the Z value is set the same as the other two objects and is there a way to reconcile the origins so that things align?

Thanks.
Alignment Question.FCStd
(59.4 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Origin Alignment.jpg
Origin Alignment.jpg (229.53 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Aligning Origins

Post by thomas-neemann »

RussG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:38 pm ...
If I understood you correctly, I would do it like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CNucATmZoQ

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
RussG

Post by RussG »

thomas-neemann wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:53 pm
RussG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:38 pm ...
If I understood you correctly, I would do it like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CNucATmZoQ

phpBB [video]
Thanks so much for that! It's not what I'm trying to do, however. The screenshot attached to this post shows basically what I am trying to accomplish. I have been able to successfully position the Cones along the X (left and right) axis numerically, but not vertically. It seems just the Z axis of the Window Bracket is out of whack with the Z axis for the Cones. When I set Z to zero for the cones they appear where they do in the screenshot of my OP. Same for the Window Bracket. Why is the Window Bracket so far below the Cones when set to the same Z coordinate?
Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 1.01.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 1.01.10 PM.png (96.6 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

RussG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 pm ...
I find the numerical positioning more difficult than the direct / intuitive transformation and move. I've never worked my way into it and can't answer your question. unfortunately
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

RussG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 pm Why is the Window Bracket so far below the Cones when set to the same Z coordinate?
This is caused by the position of the outline of the bracket in Sketch026. Its top is over 43 mm below the origin.
RussG

Post by RussG »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:55 pm
RussG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 pm Why is the Window Bracket so far below the Cones when set to the same Z coordinate?
This is caused by the position of the outline of the bracket in Sketch026. Its top is over 43 mm below the origin.
Bingo!

Thanks!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

* Your placements are weird.
You should work INSIDE a body using the origin for easy work THEN place the entire body at its placement (using Std_TransformManip or any assembly wb).

* The 2 cone bodies are the same : use a PartDesign_Clone to express clearly this idea
* Sketch of the revolution should contain also the cylinder part. The support should only be a 3D rectangle.

* Last body :
** 1st sketch is too complex : just draw the outer rectangle.
** sketch/pocket one hole and a PartDesign_Mirrored for the other one.
** one washer then a mirror.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
(It should be possible to mirror the cone with Part wb or Draft wb)
Attachments
Alignment Question_SHALM.FCStd
(74.08 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Capture du 2022-06-18 13-17-48.png
Capture du 2022-06-18 13-17-48.png (39.17 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
RussG

Post by RussG »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:58 am * Your placements are weird.
You should work INSIDE a body using the origin for easy work THEN place the entire body at its placement (using Std_TransformManip or any assembly wb).

* The 2 cone bodies are the same : use a PartDesign_Clone to express clearly this idea
* Sketch of the revolution should contain also the cylinder part. The support should only be a 3D rectangle.

* Last body :
** 1st sketch is too complex : just draw the outer rectangle.
** sketch/pocket one hole and a PartDesign_Mirrored for the other one.
** one washer then a mirror.

Hey! Who’s placements are you calling weird? Just kidding :) LOL. My placements have been called worse! Hahah. To be clear, I found that remark both helpful and a little bit amusing and I very much appreciate it and the effort you’ve made on my behalf to help me along my way. That’s just awesome of you! (Of everybody else too!)

I’ve been learning FreeCAD for about 5 weeks now. I’ve learned so much but it’s clear to me it’s just a drop in the bucket compared to what there is still left for me to learn.

Your comment about working inside a Body, then locating the entire Body later, represents a methodological approach which, while it makes entire sense to me, is a concept about which I’m uncertain I was as keenly aware previously. I’ve often thought, gee, it would be nice if there was a class I could take with a well organized and presented syllabus that teaches the concepts as well as the tools and techniques of working with FreeCAD. That sort of well rounded, structured and cohesive learning environment seems, unfortunately, absent, however, so it’s learn a bit here and there and try to piece it all together.

I’ve looked at the way you’ve structured the Cones in your reworking of my design. For me, at my level, while I can see what you’ve done, it is a bit more complicated than I think I could well manage. I did not mention previously that the Cones have to mate with another part and that for simplicity’s sake I did not include that other part in the FreeCAD file I uploaded with my OP. While I’m sure it’s doable with your construction method, just doing things at the most simple levels is often quite a struggle for me at this juncture—concepts, tools, 3D space, planes, constraints, workbenches, etc…it’s all more than a little overwhelming at times.

You have given me new tools to learn about. I could not immediately make sense of the information at the link to Std_TransformManip you provided. In looking at the info at the page PartDesign_Clone you referenced, I tried to follow the instructions there but nothing happens when I click the Create a Clone icon in the toolbar. I’ll figure it out, I’m sure, as I recall experimenting with cloning when watching some YouTube videos before. This takes me back to my comments about learning environments (above). Similarly, I have done a little Mirroring previously, but like Cloning it’s but a fuzzy memory in a torrent of new concepts, tools and methods. I’ll get there with a little more time.

More to learn! Yay!

Thanks again.
RussG

Post by RussG »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:58 am * Sketch of the revolution should contain also the cylinder part. The support should only be a 3D rectangle.
Why? What purpose is served by extending the cone below where its maximum diameter is reached? Is that so it can be coincident with the XY Plane so as to have its bottom coincident with that of the sketch of the rectangular support which is also on the XY plane? Is the lesson for me here that it can be easier to align parts for joining/fusing if they are anchored to the same plane thereby eliminating an alignment task? Something like that?

And what difference does it make if the support is rectangular as you suggest as opposed to the keyhole shape I gave it?

Thanks again!

RussG Sketches:
RussG Sketches.jpg
RussG Sketches.jpg (124.98 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
Shalmeneser Sketches:
Shalm Sketches.jpg
Shalm Sketches.jpg (125.79 KiB) Viewed 1073 times