failed somehow sketching rotating mast

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jadory

failed somehow sketching rotating mast

Post by jadory »

I'm a newb trying to figure out Freecad and used an image to create a sketch of the mast section of my sailboat roughly (doesn't have to be perfect) using a combination of b-splines, arcs, and straight lines. The section has varying thicknesses and some flat (straight line) sections as well as the curves. The computer I'm using is a desktop but rather old (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz) with 16 Gb ram.

This drawing about locks up my computer. When I load it, it takes about a minute before it loads the sketch. So I've probably made several mistakes. I was working on constraining it and used the Constrain Block for the b-splines. Then several other various methods on the other pieces. Obvious I don't know what I'm doing. It is difficult to work back on the sketch as each action takes forever. I actually created it using the latest version .19, but acts similarly in .20.

I'm curious if it also loads slowly on a modern computer, and I'm curious what mistakes I've made - perhaps how I could have handled it in a better manner. Thanks for looking!

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.20)
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.9.13, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Mast-section6-15-22.FCStd
(97.2 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: failed somehow sketching rotating mast

Post by adrianinsaval »

the sketch may be too complex, for starters the profile seems symmetric, try modelling only half of it then doing a mirror outside of the sketch, consider replacing some of the bsplines with arcs instead as they are likely less resource intensive, if it's still too slow consider breaking down in more than one sketch, for example the outer bounds in one sketch and the inner bounds in another, or the upper quarter in one and the lower quarter in another.
jadory

Post by jadory »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:30 am the sketch may be too complex, for starters the profile seems symmetric, try modelling only half of it then doing a mirror outside of the sketch, consider replacing some of the bsplines with arcs instead as they are likely less resource intensive, if it's still too slow consider breaking down in more than one sketch, for example the outer bounds in one sketch and the inner bounds in another, or the upper quarter in one and the lower quarter in another.
Thanks - good idea. I did do a symmetry from the left side to the right side, rather than mirror. But otherwise will try your suggestions. I'll have to figure out how to join sketches if I do inner and outer, but should be in the youtubes. /jd
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

... trying to do it with a single and variable BSpline.
That must be an extruded Al-profile with a lot of fillets.

Mast.PNG
Mast.PNG (51.27 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Attachments
Mast-section_2.FCStd
FC.20
(243.94 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Mast-section_1.FCStd
FC.20
(331.72 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by hammax on Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadory

Post by jadory »

hammax wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:46 am ... trying to do it with a single and variable BSpline.
That must be an extruded Al-profile with a lot of fillets.
I'm going to take a look at what you did but I have a suspicion I won't have the foggiest idea of how you did that. But looks great! I've just redrawn it using no b-splines, but haven't constrained it yet as I have to research how to do that, if necessary to bring into Part Design or whatever.
Thanks!
jadory

Post by jadory »

Ultimately I'm hoping to learn enough to model how to design my mast step sheaves which, in one image are imagined with the wooden disks. The mast piece is just a stub until I affix the rotating base to the actual mast of same section. I'm probably asking too much. The base has a place to mount a stainless trailer hitch ball to rotate on, not shown.
Attachments
mastbase4.jpg
mastbase4.jpg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 575 times
mastbase1.jpg
mastbase1.jpg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 575 times
mastbase2.jpg
mastbase2.jpg (161.61 KiB) Viewed 575 times
mastbase3.jpg
mastbase3.jpg (88.96 KiB) Viewed 575 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

personally I think I would model the general shape of the profile then use a 2d offset (or 3d offset if it works) to make it thick, then model those little protuberances in a different sketch.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

a little patience and skill, with arcs of circles
Attachments
mat.JPG
mat.JPG (46.02 KiB) Viewed 501 times
mat.FCStd
(378.87 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
jadory

Post by jadory »

papyblaise wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:15 pm a little patience and skill, with arcs of circles
I need a good how-to source to follow these. I'm unfamiliar with fusion and fillet, I guess. I can google it. One source I looked at had me using Sketcher, then import that into a body under Part Design for padding and stuff. I'm coming from Autocad so this is a new way of working, for sure. I have recreated my sketch using just lines and arcs on the left side, then a mirror for other half. So I have ImagePlane - Sketch - MirroredSketch and will try working from there. Thanks for the examples!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-06-22 174219.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-06-22 174219.jpg (48.35 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Mast-section_SheetMetal_SHALM.FCStd
(20.04 KiB) Downloaded 6 times