Drawing workbench active by default

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Drawing workbench active by default

Post by drmacro »

Just talked to a new user who installed 0.20 and was confused that Drawing workbench is active by default. And when clicked, recommends using TechDraw.

To quote him:

"I'm just confused why is obsolete workbench enabled by default.
It's good to keep legacy tools for whatever reason
but have them disabled by default"

I would agree. :roll:
Last edited by drmacro on Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Draft workbench active by default

Post by thomas-neemann »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 am ...
draft is included in arch. I think you could rename arch to arch-draft and disable draft
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 am Just talked to a new user who installed 0.20 and was confused that Draft workbench is active by default. And when clicked, recommends using TechDraw.
Draft is as far is i know not default. Also Draft is not obsolete, never was. Drawing is obsolete. But compiling without Drawing is not possible atm, since TechDraw seems to have still some functions from Drawing.

Code: Select all

Drawing became obsolete in 0.17; consider using TechDraw instead.
Greetings
user1234

edit: typo
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:59 am
drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 am ...
draft is included in arch. I think you could rename arch to arch-draft and disable draft
This, again, points to the blunderbuss approach of the install process and the discussions about the install guiding the user through selecting initial configurations...
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 am Just talked to a new user who installed 0.20 and was confused that Drawing workbench is active by default. And when clicked, recommends using TechDraw.

To quote him:

"I'm just confused why is obsolete workbench enabled by default.
It's good to keep legacy tools for whatever reason
but have them disabled by default"

I would agree. :roll:
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:04 pm
drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 am Just talked to a new user who installed 0.20 and was confused that Draft workbench is active by default. And when clicked, recommends using TechDraw.
Draft is as far is i know not default. Also Draft is not obsolete, never was. Drawing is obsolete. But compiling without Drawing is not possible atm, since TechDraw seems to have still some functions from Drawing.

Code: Select all

Drawing became obsolete in 0.17; consider using TechDraw instead.
Greetings
user1234

edit: typo
You are correct, I was referring to Drawing, not Draft. I'll edit the OP accordingly.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:04 pm But compiling without Drawing is not possible atm, since TechDraw seems to have still some functions from Drawing.
I regularly compile without drawing and use it without issues, I don't think techdraw depends on it since it is it's replacement, arch and draft had some dependencies on it which were recently replaced by corresponding techdraw functions, althought draft seems to have at least one remaining function to convert to/from? drawing objects.

@uwestoehr @yorik @wmayer should we consider not building drawing by default anymore? I feel like users of it were given enough time to migrate to techdraw already and to keep shipping it can be confusing to new users that might waste their time learning and using it instead of techdraw, at the very least it should be installed but disabled as drmacro suggests.
On that note, there is one test in draft wb that fails if you don't compile drawing wb, what to do about that?
user1234
Veteran

Re: Drawing workbench active by default

Post by user1234 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:52 pm I regularly compile without drawing and use it without issues
Sorry, you are right. I made now a clean build without it and that works. Sorry for my bs i spread.

I think the flag for compiling with it as default can be removed in the master (and development/toponaming) branch. Have someone a drawing made with the drawing WB? It would be interesting, if it loads without the WB. If yes the source would be not necessary as well.

Greetings
user1234
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

adrianinsaval wrote:@uwestoehr @yorik @wmayer should we consider not building drawing by default anymore?
Yes, it should be disabled now.
I regularly compile without drawing and use it without issues, I don't think techdraw depends on it since it is it's replacement
Are you sure that Drawing isn't built any more? Although TechDraw doesn't use any Drawing function any more (since January I guess) there is still a link dependency: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ts.txt#L39 However, this dependency can be simply removed without causing any linking errors.
On that note, there is one test in draft wb that fails if you don't compile drawing wb, what to do about that?
OK this must be checked and fixed, then.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

AFAICS Draft and Arch have all switched to corresponding TechDraw functionality. For me Drawing is safe to disable too.