New install of FreeCAD on Pop!OS (Ubuntu derivitive) Techdraw Vertices missing

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: New install of FreeCAD on Pop!OS (Ubuntu derivitive) Techdraw Vertices missing

Post by adrianinsaval »

unfortunately we don't have an active maintainer for ubuntu/debian packaging so freecad is basically broken in that platform but ubuntu included the package in their repositories anyways. If the appimage is not working correctly try using the flatpak or snap versions, for your techdraw issues it would be better to create a new thread asking about it, possibly in the techdraw subforum
chennes
Veteran

Re: New install of FreeCAD on Pop!OS (Ubuntu derivitive) Techdraw Vertices missing

Post by chennes »

That crash is pretty deep in QWebEngine: what version is the AppImage using? I can see if there is a workaround available for whatever it is that is causing this. Might be something dumb like putting in a short delay, etc. It looks like an event is being sent to a nonexistent widget or something along those lines.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

BDL42 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:14 pm The issue is vertices are no longer visible in TechDraw. They used to be visible on 20.04 Ubuntu.
This is almost certainly issue #6698.
BDL42

Post by BDL42 »

@wandererfan Have to agree that this is the same bug. TechDraw is close to useless with this bug.

As a dummy, who gets told that the greatest thing since sliced bread is to install an AppImage, rather than build it, I'm a bit disappointed. I have built many packages before. Please don't offer the AppImage to Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivatives, or put a warning on the download page. I would not have installed the AppImage had I known it was buggy and a train wreck. FreeCAD is not helping itself by allowing buggy junk to be installed, in my opinion. If I was a brand new user, I would have walked away from this SW and adopted something else. But since I had already used FreeCAD, I knew it was pretty capable, a lot more capable than I am at the moment. In less than 6 months I have made two dozen models.

Pop!OS doesn't use snaps. AppImage was attractive since I didn't have to buy into an all or nothing approach. The idea of flatpack and snap and other similar containers is ok - if the darn thing works, and a nightmare if it doesn't. What do we call this? The conflict between the dream and reality?

Guess what I am hearing is (FreeCAD) life is good, the old fashioned way of using make...