FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post by Kunda1 »

Maybe we can make a Fine-tuning option for advanced users to skip dialogs like this?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

leoheck wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 pm It is forcing. Since I don't want to save.
So decline to save, I don't understand why you say it's forcing you to save, in what situation does it require you to save? My initial understanding was that you were opening a step file, changing placement colors etc then closing the document, and this triggers the dialog. This is normal and normally not skippable, it's probably posible to make a macro to skip it though.
I am talking about the Freecad "Forcing me to save The New Created File When It is Being Created" with a .step file in it.
This is confusing though, are you being asked to save when you open the file? This would be a bug, please explain better.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There is a function isSaved() for a document, which is probably based on some boolean flag. Wouldn't it make a sensible feature request if such opening of a non FreeCAD file would end with clearing this flag? Then the object could be inspected without asking for save when closed, but as soon as edits are made, the flag would be set again.

I admit that I haven't checked if it is posssible to clear this flag without having a physical file.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

could be, but changing placement and colors is editing
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I am quite puzzled as to why this is an issue. If I open a STEP file and then try to close FreeCAD I am presented with a pop-up box that has three buttons, Save, Discard, Cancel. If I click Discard FreeCAD closes without further ado.

Takes at least 1/2 second.

Unless you are doing an opening and review of a step file every few seconds this seems like a total non-issue.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

agreed, but I'll concede that opening a step/stl then doing absolutely nothing to it and being presented with the dialog is a bit unnecessary, as a reference when you open an image on gimp and do absolutely nothing to it it doesn't ask you to save the file, and same as freecad with stp gimp doesn't directly save to png, it is considered an import/export format. If you change any color or move any component it is absolutely an edit and it should always ask to save though.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:45 pm Unless you are doing an opening and review of a step file every few seconds this seems like a total non-issue.
I agree on the non issue, which it is for me as well. But it can be a bit more than half a second. An indicator that something has changed at all can be significant. And if several files are opened for a certain time then, it would take me a lot more time to decide what they are and if they are worth being saved.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Hello, enjoy the video, it was a bit big to attach here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fodcf8k8l02ro ... .webm?dl=0
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

leoheck wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:56 am Hello, enjoy the video, it was a bit big to attach here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fodcf8k8l02ro ... .webm?dl=0
that is absolutely strange!
Never seen this behavior since kicadStepUp has been around (mid 2015)...
And I did not knew of any option to achieve it in FC configuration

it seems you have some FC settings or addons which force FC to ask saving each time the python code is loading a model or th file has changed....

I would suggest you:
1) backup your FC config and profile
2) clean (delete) your old profile
3) restart FreeCAD and check if the settings are 'clean' (like first run)
4) install kicadStepUp with the FC Addon manager
5) check if the 'strange' behavior is still present

EDIT:
do you have something like the 'Auto Save' Macro active?
FreeCAD Auto Save Macro
and may be you have it executed each FC start?
triplus wrote: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:36 pm Well i am guessing for now i would like to automatically execute this macro on FreeCAD start.
EDIT2:
I can replicate your exactly behavior starting the macro before loading a kicad board...
I think this issue is PEBCAK
Last edited by easyw-fc on Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

leoheck wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:56 am enjoy the video
This is something totally different from the comments in the previous responses.

Yes, that would be extremely annoying, but it is obviously pathological, not standard FC behavior.

Gene