FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post by leoheck »

FreeCad constantly asks for saving the .FCStd file when I want to just open a .step file.

Most of the time, just to visualize it. Sometimes just to do something briefly on that .step file like changing the color or its orientation using (KicadStepUp, for instance). And then I will export it again without having to create a .FCStd file.

This behavior is pretty annoying. Users know that they have to save the file if they want.

Now, if the consideration is to have a file saved for the case when FreeCad suddenly fails while importing a .step file. It could save automatically a temporary file in a propper folder, like the /tmp folder on linux, without the user intervention. And if it breaks, then it can ask to recover that file next time when Freecad is opening.

With that being said, do I have any way to change this behavior?

Also, is there any possibility of changing this behavior by default in the future releases of FreeCad?
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post by papyblaise »

Import your step file in a new window, and you can work on both without having to close one
As for backup , Fc has always done that by default
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

leoheck wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:44 pm ...
When you use File>Open to open a step file, a new FreeCAD file is created. (Note the tab in the 3D view is labelled Unnamed and not the name of the step file)

The prompt to save is for the newly created document not the step file.

Once the processing of the step (open/import) is complete, it is a new FreeCAD document with unsaved changes. (Does it have any reference to the step file at that point???)

Maybe it would be nice to have a view only mode...
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

this is expected behavior, you are importing the step file in a new document.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:01 pm When you use File>Open to open a step file, a new FreeCAD file is created.
Yes. Why should I save it? I will do it when I want, if I want, right? Exactly when you open a new Frecad file. If you type Ctrl+n to open/create a new FreeCad project, it will open a new file, and it will not botther you asking you to save anything.
adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:11 am this is expected behavior, you are importing the step file in a new document.
Exactly, I don't want to save anything.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

FreeCAD does not "force" you to save anything. It alerts you that the file is "dirty" and it needs to be saved or any changes will be lost. If you don't care about losing changes then don't save.

This is pretty standard behavior in most programs for many decades.

You can simply cancel if you do not want to save.

Gene
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

leoheck wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:37 pm Exactly, I don't want to save anything.
So click No. You are not closing an empty document or an unmodified file, you are closing a document where a step file was imported, there are many valid reasons to save something like this as a FCStd file, FreeCAD can't assume one way or the other. This is expected behavior, there are specialized software out there just for visualization, consider using one of those.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

GeneFC wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:44 pm FreeCAD does not "force" you to save anything.
Wrong. It is forcing me. It opens the file dialog. It slows down the progress.

So, how do I prevent it from opening this unwanted File (Document) save Dialog?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

leoheck wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:05 pm Wrong. It is forcing me. It opens the file dialog. It slows down the progress.
It's not forcing you to save, it's forcing you to specify whether to save or not, this is sane behavior shared by most software out there, if you spent hours making a document then close it without explicitly saving it, would you be happy if FreeCAD just assumed you don't want to save and just discarded the whole thing?
So, how do I prevent it from opening this unwanted File (Document) save Dialog?
AFAIK you can't.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:15 pm It's not forcing you to save, it's forcing you to specify whether to save or not, this is sane behavior shared by most software out there,
It is forcing. Since I don't want to save.
When you open a new file/document, ON ANY APP (you name it) the software is not going to for you to save something.

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:15 pm if you spent hours making a document then close it without explicitly saving it, would you be happy if FreeCAD just assumed you don't want to save and just discarded the whole thing?
This is the user's problem/responsibility.

But again, you are confusing things. I am not talking about "Letting the user know" that the document is not saved, "Before Closing The Document", that has unsaved work on it.

I am talking about the Freecad "Forcing me to save The New Created File When It is Being Created" with a .step file in it.

Completely different Scenarios.

Your scenario is to help the user remember he was working on new stuff before he commits the issue to lose his document forever. THIS IS GOOD. And please, keep THAT. So, user can decide to pull out the power cable, to get rid of that decision if he does not have time to do so.

Now, I am talking about the scenario that the software is not allowing me to continue my normal work IF the file does not exist in the filesystem. SO I DO have to decide otherwise I CAN'T continue working. Since the software is going to Fixed Stuck on that screen.

================

Oh GOD! I am just asking if there is a way to prevent this to happen for myself. But I do think that it would help a lot other users that just want to have the work done.