Carbon Copy sketch orientation

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sjgallagher2

Carbon Copy sketch orientation

Post by sjgallagher2 »

I use a master sketch for my current model. The master sketch needed to be rotated 90 degrees to be properly oriented with the other one I drew. Now, using Carbon Copy from another body/sketch, the sketch is copied properly but is rotated 90 degrees. I'm stuck between drawing everything sideways, or not being able to use my master sketch at all. Rotating the new sketch attachment almost works, but again, I'd be drawing sideways, so horizontal constraints become vertical, and vice versa, among other troubles. I'm running RealThunder at the moment (just switched, it's so, so nice to not worry about breaking my models by making simple references), was just using 0.20. I just want to use a rotated master sketch, but I'm struggling with this.

Master sketch shown behind new sketch, before Carbon Copy:
Screenshot 2022-06-26 163119.png
Screenshot 2022-06-26 163119.png (7 KiB) Viewed 674 times
After Carbon Copy, sketch is rotated 90 degrees:
Screenshot 2022-06-26 163143.png
Screenshot 2022-06-26 163143.png (58.37 KiB) Viewed 674 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Carbon Copy sketch orientation

Post by chrisb »

File? I would try to rotate the sketch using CarbonCopy.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

sjgallagher2 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:33 pm ...
I can't reproduce it, it's not rotated for me. this might be helpful

Bildschirmfoto_2022-06-27_08-52-25.png
Bildschirmfoto_2022-06-27_08-52-25.png (23.2 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
sjgallagher2

Post by sjgallagher2 »

Reviving this thread in case it helps someone. I realized the right way to approach this is to make a copy of the master sketch in each body, and that copy should have the same attachment as the master. Then you can use External Geometry (instead of Carbon Copy) to reference the master sketch.

Explanation: the carbon copy tool copies geometry as it appears in the Sketcher. It ignores sketch attachment, so if you reverse map, or rotate the sketch, cc'ing will ignore that and bring the sketch in as it appears in the Sketcher. To get around this, use the fact that the external geometry tool does respect sketch orientation, but you can only use that tool when working in the same body. So if you want to keep the orientation:

1. Create a sketch (001) in your active body, and carbon copy the master geometry into it. Make sure everything you want to use is visible, not construction lines.
2. Set the sketch (001) attachment to match the attachment of the master.
3. For any further sketches in your active body, use external geometry to reference the master copy.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Or just use the tool that FC provides to do this ShapeBinder/subobjectShapeBinder.