Combine, Duplicate & Position

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Combine, Duplicate & Position

Post by NewJoker »

Bance wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:25 am Can you explain this a little more?
I'm just talking about the well known limitation:

limitation 2.png
limitation 2.png (62.96 KiB) Viewed 183 times

However, I should add that there's no such limitation in the Link Branch: https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/releases
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

But is perfectly acceptable to do this so long as the result is a single solid. So for instance to model a table, with four legs, so long as I model the top first I can then model the four legs as you describe.

But I wouldn't do that it's stupid, when I can use a feature pattern.

If I want to move features in relation to each other within a body that too is possible.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:22 am So you can’t make for example two or more pads from separated sketches within the same Body.
This is a generalization which needs further explanation: You cannot create a pad from a sketch, where the resulting pad would be separate from previously modeled features in the same body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:11 am This is a generalization which needs further explanation: You cannot create a pad from a sketch, where the resulting pad would be separate from previously modeled features in the same body.
Right, I should have explained it further. But it's brought up so often that one begins to simplify the explanation. And someone has already mentioned the concept of a single contiguous solid which pretty much sums up the whole thing.