[FIXED] Revolving fails whenever sketch touches axis "gp_Dir::Crossed() - result vector has zero norm"

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
trallafitti

[FIXED] Revolving fails whenever sketch touches axis "gp_Dir::Crossed() - result vector has zero norm"

Post by trallafitti »

Whenever I try to additively revolve a sketch that touches (not crosses) the revolving axis, the revolve fails with "gp_Dir::Crossed() - result vector has zero norm".
I believe this was possible before, but I could be wrong.

In the attached project, I cannot revolve any of the sketches around the Y axis, but they can all be revolved around the X axis.
Changing any of the settings (angle, symmetry, reversed) has no effect.

The only similar/related issue I could find was this bug on the FreeCad 0.20 weekly build, but the thread was only concerned with the subtractive feature.

Version/OS info:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24415 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: makepkg
Hash: 476ecf091941bead59b14e44afa6064d5a66afa3
Python version: 3.10.5
Qt version: 5.15.4
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/Ireland (en_IE)
Attachments
revolve.FCStd
(9.58 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by trallafitti on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Revolving fails whenever sketch touches axis "gp_Dir::Crossed() - result vector has zero norm"

Post by papyblaise »

I do not have any problems

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.27422 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: d938733eaf2c2ce7cb18d1cbb56147185c473530
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Attachments
rotate.JPG
rotate.JPG (34.83 KiB) Viewed 669 times
Last edited by papyblaise on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bambuko
Veteran

Re: Revolving fails whenever sketch touches axis "gp_Dir::Crossed() - result vector has zero norm"

Post by bambuko »

papyblaise wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:24 pm I do not have any problems
and which version of FreeCAD have you used.... ?
It may be an important difference to OP
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Aside from the fact that they all work, the current stable is version 0.20, FC vers 0.19 will not be receiving bug fixes.
trallafitti

Post by trallafitti »

Sorry, I did not realize the arch package was out of date by two weeks. Consider this fixed.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Bance wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm FC vers 0.19 will not be receiving bug fixes.
I can be wrong but I think that it will be in the future like it was the case with previous versions (for example, 0.19.4 was published shortly before the release of 0.20). Only bug fixes are backported though, not new features.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:45 pm I can be wrong but I think that it will be in the future like it was the case with previous versions (for example, 0.19.4 was published shortly before the release of 0.20). Only bug fixes are backported though, not new features.
Not necessarily as:
For this release there will only be binaries for Windows (no builds or Linux or macOS). All of our manpower is going in to getting the next major FreeCAD release out the door.
see in:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.19.4

This is somewhat disappointing as some bugfixes are not implemented for poors Linux and MacOs users :cry:.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

onekk wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:20 pm This is somewhat disappointing as some bugfixes are not implemented for poors Linux and MacOs users :cry:.
that was an abnormal release, for starters 0.20 was expected to come out very soon™ so not much effort was put into it and there weren't people readily available to make the appimage + dmg, on the other hand many people on linux still got 0.19.4 through other downstream package repos like flatpak, snap or native packages for distros like arch.