unable to convert an stl to gcode

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
backmanc

unable to convert an stl to gcode

Post by backmanc »

a friend designed a part and sent it to me via email in an stl file. I downloaded it and it shows up in freecad but I cannot export it because it says I have to highlight what I want to export but there is no way to highlight anything. The part shows up on the screen and a name of the file at the bottom then it says the file is obsolete and I should go to teckdraw. I have saved it to my F drive and it shows up there but when I put the sd card into my Longer lk5 pro 3d printer it doesn't show up on my screen and I haven't been able to print. anyone have any solutions ?
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: unable to convert an stl to gcode

Post by GeneFC »

It is not possible to simply load an STL file and then export it as G-code. FreeCAD builds G-code from solid models via the Path WB.

In order to create G-code it would be necessary to turn the STL file into a valid solid model in FreeCAD and go from there. Too much to cover in a post like this.

If you have a valid STL file the printer should accept it without any conversion. No need for FreeCAD at all.

Gene
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:15 pm If you have a valid STL file the printer should accept it without any conversion. No need for FreeCAD at all.
I think you mean a slicer program?
NHSA_Rainer

Post by NHSA_Rainer »

backmanc wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:03 pm a friend designed a part and sent it to me via email in an stl file. I downloaded it and it shows up in freecad but I cannot export it because it says I have to highlight what I want to export but there is no way to highlight anything. The part shows up on the screen and a name of the file at the bottom then it says the file is obsolete and I should go to teckdraw. I have saved it to my F drive and it shows up there but when I put the sd card into my Longer lk5 pro 3d printer it doesn't show up on my screen and I haven't been able to print. anyone have any solutions ?
Hi,

Normally a STL files is converted by a slicer like Cura, PrusaSlicer, Creaslity Slicer, 3DSlicer, etc. or any other slicer as you have to specify the printer with which you will be printing the part. Without defining a printer and its proprietary Start and End code I assume nothing meaqningful will come out of the printer ...

Every printer has its own Start and End gcode embedded into the parts gcode file.

IMHO
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Bance wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:44 pm
GeneFC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:15 pm If you have a valid STL file the printer should accept it without any conversion. No need for FreeCAD at all.
I think you mean a slicer program?
Yes.