Splash screen shadow problems - Picom at fault

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ifohancroft

Splash screen shadow problems - Picom at fault

Post by ifohancroft »

I love the new splash screen and the fact that it has transparent parts, however, in-order for it to look its best, you need to tell your compositor to not draw shadows around the window.

I edited my compositor's config (Picom) to tell it to not draw shadows around windows of type 'splash' and to my surprise, that didn't remove the shadow, so I started trying all possible value types, in-order to find one that works. To my surprise, neither of the values worked.

TL;DR: FreeCAD's splash screen either uses the wrong window type, or doesn't set one at all. Its window type should be 'splash'.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29321 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8ee773362e08d703bce9cfdcefd8e4ad424a7d44
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * MechanicalKeyboards
  * sheetmetal 0.2.49
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.12.4
Last edited by ifohancroft on Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [BUG] Splash screen either uses the wrong window type or doesn't set one at all

Post by adrianinsaval »

use xprop to check what type it has, I agree it should be of type splash
ifohancroft

Re: [BUG] Splash screen either uses the wrong window type or doesn't set one at all

Post by ifohancroft »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:35 pm use xprop to check what type it has, I agree it should be of type splash
Good call.

Here is the output:

Code: Select all

XKLAVIER_STATE(INTEGER) = 0, -1316051456
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
		window state: Normal
		icon window: 0x0
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 0
_NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_PAGER, _NET_WM_STATE_SKIP_TASKBAR, _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED
_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS(ATOM) = _NET_WM_ACTION_CHANGE_DESKTOP, _NET_WM_ACTION_ABOVE, _NET_WM_ACTION_BELOW
WM_TRANSIENT_FOR(WINDOW): window id # 0x2c0000b
_NET_WM_ICON_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = 
_NET_WM_ICON(CARDINAL) = 	Icon (64 x 64):
	(not shown)

XdndAware(ATOM) = BITMAP
WM_NAME(STRING) = 
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "FreeCAD"
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH, _KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE, _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL
_XEMBED_INFO(_XEMBED_INFO) = 0x0, 0x1
WM_CLIENT_LEADER(WINDOW): window id # 0x2c0000b
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
		Client accepts input or input focus: True
		window id # of group leader: 0x2c0000b
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "battlestation"
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 17556
_NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST_COUNTER(CARDINAL) = 46137361
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "freecad", "FreeCAD"
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, WM_TAKE_FOCUS, _NET_WM_PING, _NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
		user specified location: 2680, 417
		user specified size: 400 by 245
		window gravity: NorthWest
I am not entirely sure what the window type is, because it has '_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH', but it also has '_KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE' and '_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL'.
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

do you have issues with some other program's splash? looks like it is actually set a splash
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:04 pm do you have issues with some other program's splash? looks like it is actually set a splash
You are right. The shadows are visible on other programs' splash screens as well. I guess the problem is either on my end or with Picom itself.

P.S. I haven't posted a bug post in here in awhile and I don't see a way to close the thread - what should I do?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Usually prepending [solved] to the title is enough, in this case it's not really solved so it might not be appropriate, but please edit the title to specify it's a in issue with picom and remove the [bug] part since it's not a bug in FreeCAD, in general it's best not to put [bug] in the title until you have confirmation that it is a bug
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:56 pm Usually prepending [solved] to the title is enough, in this case it's not really solved so it might not be appropriate, but please edit the title to specify it's a in issue with picom and remove the [bug] part since it's not a bug in FreeCAD, in general it's best not to put [bug] in the title until you have confirmation that it is a bug
Thank you!