Treeview 0.18 vs 0.20

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GLachniet

Treeview 0.18 vs 0.20

Post by GLachniet »

I have played around with FreeCad some in the past but never really got too familiar with it. Recently a friend sent me a 3D .STP drawing so that I could extract the 2D parts. On my desktop I have 0.18 and I wanted to work with it on my laptop so I loaded version 0.20. When I click on the file in version 0.18 it shows the tree view and I can select individual parts. With the 0.20 version it shows tree view when it loads but it immediately disappears. Clicking on the file does not generate the tree view. I obviously am missing something but I have not been able to find out what. What am I missing?

Thanks
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Treeview 0.18 vs 0.20

Post by adrianinsaval »

See Import_Export_Preferences#STEP, and uncheck the "Enable STEP Compound merge" checkbox
GLachniet

Re: Treeview 0.18 vs 0.20

Post by GLachniet »

Thank you. That did it. I would never have found that on my own.

I am going to have to spend some time learning FreeCad. I have started several times and I have 20+ years using my 2D program and every time I start I get discouraged and revert back to my old program. I used the old program in my fabricating business so I used it a lot. At this point I am only using cad for my hobby so the motivations is different.