Do triangles are disguised to rectangles ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
manos

Re: Do triangles are disguised to rectangles ?

Post by manos »

I feel panic at the idea that I could have spent a week end to replace 0.18 with 0.20 or 0.21 (including installation of applications, settings, incompatibilities and other catastrophes ).
Anyway @drmacro I was joking.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

manos wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:47 pm I feel panic at the idea that I could have spent a week end to replace 0.18 with 0.20 or 0.21 (including installation of applications, settings, incompatibilities and other catastrophes ).
Anyway @drmacro I was joking.
I was talking about Ubuntu not FreeCAD. But, even 0.18 FreeCAD is old.

TBH honest, that is why I keep up to date with everything I can.

On two of my PC's I run Majaro/Arch, which always keeps, even the kernel, up to date all the time.

On my other, primary FreeCAD machine, I build the latest version of FreeCAD daily.

It is much easier to fix minor daily changes than to make major jumps and have a huge task because of being multiple revision behind.

I also realize not everyone has the inclination to do this, in fact, it is probably overkill on my part to do it with such regularity. ;)

Probably most don't have any need to do so.

But, come on. Eight versions and counting...for that I say shame on you :lol:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

my opinion is: never touch a running system. if there are problems, make a full backup, set everything back to out of the box in the 1st step. if that doesn't help, make updates to known working systems. the very latest update is dangerous.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:19 pm my opinion is: never touch a running system. if there are problems, make a full backup, set everything back to out of the box in the 1st step. if that doesn't help, make updates to known working systems. the very latest update is dangerous.
If I were the manager of a business enterprise I would do things quite differently than what I described. (In fact, when I was, the rule was never update to #.0 anything. ;) let others work out the problems, wait for #.1 maybe even #.2) But, when I was, I also did not wait until it was a multi-version update to get current. That has its own set of issues.

For a hobbyist or casual user, it is wise to make a complete image backup, then (having confirmed the image is valid) proceed to update.

I'm none of the above at this point, so I get to be as crazy as I dare. 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:42 pm ...
+1

mfro

Post by mfro »

thomas-neemann wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:19 pm my opinion is: never touch a running system ... the very latest update is dangerous.
I tend to disagree.

FreeCAD (as well as Linux) makes it simple and easy to always stay current and disk space is cheap. I have like 10 of the last weekly appimage builds around and a script that searches for the last one that it starts by default, but also allows you to select a specific one. I also keep the release build and the latest git sources I'm building myself at times.

Settings are backed up each day.

It understand things might be a little different when one tries to offer trainings (which you appear to do?). I understand you don't want to break your lectures by accident...
Cheers,
Markus
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

mfro wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:52 pm ...
yes, for training, but also in productive use, proven versions are useful in my opinion

onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

manos wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:47 pm I feel panic at the idea that I could have spent a week end to replace 0.18 with 0.20 or 0.21 (including installation of applications, settings, incompatibilities and other catastrophes )....
Probably it is not difficult to have 0.19, 0.20 and 0.21 on the same machine.

I have 0.19 and 0.20 as AppImages as they are "old stable" and "stable" in Debian/Ubuntu terminology, and 0.21 as "conda install" as it is "evolving fast".

I have also at least three different "user settings", as in Linux you could make it simple as witing this little bash script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

export QTWEBENGINE_DISABLE_SANDBOX=1
export FREECAD_USER_HOME="/home/common/FreeCAD/config-019"

urxvt -T "FreeCAD-launcher" -e "/home/common/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_0.19.3-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage"
note the settings of the "environment variables":

export QTWEBENGINE_DISABLE_SANDBOX=1
is needed on 0.19 to avoid the "Blank Start Page" problem it seems no more needed for 0.20 and 0.21.

export FREECAD_USER_HOME="/home/common/FreeCAD/config-019"
This is setting the configuration directory of FC

urxvt -T "FreeCAD-launcher" -e "/home/common/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_0.19.3-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage"
This line is to launch a terminal that launch a FC instance from an AppImage, it should work in other terminals, provided you change the invocation command and chect that -T is suppported (some terminals use -t instead).

This way you could even have many version of FC for each installation, maybe one in English and another in your "mother language" or even another one "plain" without WB to test if some WB is causing problems, etc, etc.

It is not too complicated, as it is bash scripts, and if you make a "desktop file" you could even have a launch icon in menu.

So you have not to struggle with versions anymore.

Obviously is up to you to sincronize changes between versions in term of preferences, for WB it suffice to download one version and simply copy the "installed directory" under /Mod to the various "configuration directories" provided they use the same FC version (This is not strictly true, but better to stay on the safe side, if something is installed differently by the AddOn manager depending on FC version)

Hope it helps

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I tend to agree with drmacro, I moved away from ubtunu because upgrading those was a headache (completely borked my system once although I guess nvidia was really to blame there) and not updating was unbearable (gimp on windows was 100x better than what I got on linux, that's just ridiculous), and I didn't want anything to do with flatpak/snaps at the time. Of course, in business one must use something stable.

Having said all that, we've gone off topic, distro choices/update practices are not of relevance here.

To OP: using a white background is a bad idea unless you go through all the settings and make sure all the colors used will have good contrast, even then I think there are some colors that are not customizable, the ruler tool comes to mind, it has white text and can't be changed if I'm not mistaken (there was a recent request about it but I think no progress). Consider going back to a darker color, at the very least a light grey.
manos

Post by manos »

Thanks a lot @drmacro,thomas-neeman,mfro,onekk,adrianinsaval

Case is closed