UI messed up in latest weekly Appimage

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: UI messed up in latest weekly Appimage

Post by adrianinsaval »

Aaaah got ya, I believe this is a combination of a qt bug and an X11 bug, I read somewhere that for the longest time X11 had terrible dpi support so most applications where made assuming 96dpi would always be set, then X11 fixed their dpi situation but a ton of other things that had made assumptions like this broke. I had issues with my KDE installation some months ago and I fixed it by forcing 96 font dpi.
heron

Post by heron »

ifohancroft wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:13 pm The workaround was indeed DPI related. Setting QT_FONT_DPI to 96 or QT_SCALE_FACTOR to 1 makes FreeCAD show up as expected.
Hello, I am on a laptop with Windows 10 and also have got some visual issues DPI and scale related.
Excuse my ignorance, where can I modify QT_FONT_DPI or QT_SCALE_FACTOR?

TIA and Regards.
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

heron wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:13 am
ifohancroft wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:13 pm The workaround was indeed DPI related. Setting QT_FONT_DPI to 96 or QT_SCALE_FACTOR to 1 makes FreeCAD show up as expected.
Hello, I am on a laptop with Windows 10 and also have got some visual issues DPI and scale related.
Excuse my ignorance, where can I modify QT_FONT_DPI or QT_SCALE_FACTOR?

TIA and Regards.
Hi, I believe in the case of Windows 10, the solution is this:
castamos wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 am 1. Close FreeCAD
2. Right click on the desktop shortcut for FreeCAD
3. Properties
4. Go to "Compatibility" tab
5. "Change high DPI settings"
6. Enable the option "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of the one in Settings"
7. Click OK to close dialogs
8. Launch FreeCAD again (from the shortcut)
source
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

ifohancroft wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:53 pm ...

Code: Select all

In Arch derivatives, that are rolling release is not unusual to have problems when a "new version" of some "core system" component, like the kernel or the graphics driver get updated.

I have had problems with Mesa drivers, and after having "pinned" Mesa to the old version I have resolved to install "mesa-amber" that is the "old version of Mesa" that is more compatible with my 2gen i3. (I know that is old).

Graphics stacks (kernel, driver and OpenGL, X11) are somewhat weird, (for this reason there are project that aim to replace them on Linux like Wayland), and usually is not the "end application" that has to be blamed, but some "intermediate settings".

If problem is solved, please mark it as [Solved].

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
heron

Post by heron »

ifohancroft wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:39 pm Hi, I believe in the case of Windows 10, the solution is this:
while ago I tried this and it is not the solution to me. I just also find out how to create and edit environment variables in Windows and I was testing with the variables mentioned above, playing with their values and nothing, I didn't get it, whenever it is scaled some errors appear on the screen. These visual issues are minors, I can live with them, In the meantime I'll keep investigating.
Thank you very much for your replie!!!
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

heron wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:23 pm
ifohancroft wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:39 pm Hi, I believe in the case of Windows 10, the solution is this:
while ago I tried this and it is not the solution to me. I just also find out how to create and edit environment variables in Windows and I was testing with the variables mentioned above, playing with their values and nothing, I didn't get it, whenever it is scaled some errors appear on the screen. These visual issues are minors, I can live with them, In the meantime I'll keep investigating.
Thank you very much for your replie!!!
Sorry that didn't work for you.
P.S. Sorry that I didn't tell you how to edit those variables on Windows, but I don't know how. Also I thought it may not be related to the Windows issue and thought the other fix would work for you. I'm sorry to see that it didn't work.

Feel free to post again here or maybe in a dedicated post (I don't know where it would be best) if you find a fix.
Btw can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are having?
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
heron

Post by heron »

ifohancroft wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:42 pm Btw can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are having?
Of course,
The colors don't fill their boxes
Captura1.PNG
Captura1.PNG (90.4 KiB) Viewed 833 times

When moving the page split some side bits as the image below, then zoming it fixes.

Captura2.PNG
Captura2.PNG (103.25 KiB) Viewed 833 times

Also, in dialog windows, when you mouse over the boxes, the lines disappear and reappear.
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

heron wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:42 pm
ifohancroft wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:42 pm Btw can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are having?
Of course,
The colors don't fill their boxes
Captura1.PNG

When moving the page split some side bits as the image below, then zoming it fixes.

Captura2.PNG

Also, in dialog windows, when you mouse over the boxes, the lines disappear and reappear.
Are you sure this is a scaling/dpi issue? This sounds more like a graphics (perhaps driver?) issue to me.
heron

Post by heron »

ifohancroft wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:54 pm Are you sure this is a scaling/dpi issue?
Yes. I was finally able to fix it by creating the variable "DisableDpiScaling" to value "true" in the paramenter editor BaseApp/Preferences/HighDPI.
Source
You put me on the right track and I was able to find it, plus I learned a lot about environment variables. Thank you very much!
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

heron wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:37 am
ifohancroft wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:54 pm Are you sure this is a scaling/dpi issue?
Yes. I was finally able to fix it by creating the variable "DisableDpiScaling" to value "true" in the paramenter editor BaseApp/Preferences/HighDPI.
Source
You put me on the right track and I was able to find it, plus I learned a lot about environment variables. Thank you very much!
Thanks for letting me know!
Most welcome, I'm glad that I've managed to help you.