A2plus Path parts Inventor

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mp77Bushnell

A2plus Path parts Inventor

Post by mp77Bushnell »

I have used Autodesk Inventor.
In Inventor it is possible to use an assembly (.ASM file) and create/convert and save it as NEW part (IPT.)
There are advantages and yes disadvantages. I DID use advantages and was/am hoping I can use a2plus to perform some of the same.

I've read through the documentation and so far no glimmer of "creating a part from two (or more parts ) created in Part Design and create a new part that easily is opened in Part Design. Maybe i missed it. Watched the few videos too.

What I would really like to do is take two (or more parts) from Design parts... combine them in A2plus save the file and or take it into PATH workbench to create a job and then create G-Code... (I was able to do this type of task in Inventor."

Since I have not found an answer in the forum using "search" and Google search found no glimmer of an answer... hopefully someone USING A2Plus has done this... something as simple as "two part designed" parts through `a2plus and then into path.
Bance
Veteran

Re: A2plus Path parts Inventor

Post by Bance »

I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Part Design has a single solid rule, if you want to combine two objects in made separately in part design, then it sounds like the workflow is faulty.
mp77Bushnell

Post by mp77Bushnell »

Bance wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:44 pm I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Part Design has a single solid rule, if you want to combine two objects in made separately in part design, then it sounds like the workflow is faulty.
Can files created using a2plus be used by Path workbench?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

The best test is to just try it.

I think you will find that A2+ simply rearranges the existing solids without really "combining" them. That is essentially what any assembly function does.

The one possible advantage is that the individual solids are placed in the correct orientation and position.

I just did a really quick test, and nothing exploded.

Gene
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

I suppose one can use the SW anyway one wants, but that way is hard work....
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

mp77Bushnell wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:34 pm What I would really like to do is take two (or more parts) from Design parts... combine them in A2plus save the file and or take it into PATH workbench to create a job and then create G-Code... (I was able to do this type of task in Inventor."

Since I have not found an answer in the forum using "search" and Google search found no glimmer of an answer... hopefully someone USING A2Plus has done this... something as simple as "two part designed" parts through `a2plus and then into path.
Maybe I have a suggestion that will help (or maybe not). If all your parts are in the tree view, change to the part workbench,
Select the parts that you want to become “one part” and choose the “make compound”.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_CompCompoundTools (the blue square cub)