How do I use Fastners with Assembly4

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

How do I use Fastners with Assembly4

Post by leoheck »

I am learning Assembly4, and I am currently trying to understand the workflow to use Fasteners Workbench with it.

Do you guys have an example/demo so I could use it to learn this process?

Or do you have a workflow that works for you that you can describe here?

Thank you in advance.
leoheck
Veteran

Re: How do I use Fastners with Assembly4

Post by leoheck »

I am looking for a way where the screw placements get updated with the design as it works on other parts of the Assembly4. Reusing the same fastner would be also good.

Right now it looks like I have to use the Fasteners Workbench directly. But I feel this is not the best way to interact with Assembly4.

Also, I am not sure if I have to create the Yellow Body to put the screw inside.

Toughts?
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

You can insert a screw as a part. Then locate a LCS on your part, and assembly the screw as any standard part. ;)
Attachments
ass4_screw.FCStd
(33.42 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Nice, thank you, Vicent. This is what I was thinking and doing too.

Now, this design I am using to learn has a bunch of screws, and it feels that this workflow is more complex (requires more steps) than what Fasteners Workbench does.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Zolko mentioned this workflow on Github.
Zolko wrote: You can use fasteners from the Fasteners WB directly if you prefer, they are in Asm4 only for convenience.

Unfortunately, the Fasteners WB doesn't recognize inserted objects/parts by links (App::Link) correctly, therefore you will not be able to attach a fastener to a hole in a child part of the assembly.

The workflow to use fasteners inside the Asm4 WB is to select the hole edge you want to attach-to, create a "Hole Axis" feature (which is actually a datum line), and then use the "place part" button to attach the fastener to that hole axis feature. Yes, it's a little cumbersome, not as practical as what the Fastener WB does, but at least it can treat linked objects (which Fasteners WB can't)

Now, by playing with it to demonstrate, I realise that when selecting a "hole axis" feature, the fastener should be directly attached to it, instead of having to go through all the hoops. I'll try to improve this
Source:
https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... 1219239467

I just could not reproduce this approach yet.
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

leoheck wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:43 pm Now, this design I am using to learn has a bunch of screws, and it feels that this workflow is more complex (requires more steps) than what Fasteners Workbench does.
I suggest the following when using Assembly4 fasteners:

1. Add a Hole Axis(es) to the sketch(es) circle edge that creates the hole (pocket) as you model the body. For multiple holes in the same sketch CTRL select the circle edges and add all of the axes. Using the sketch edge rather than the feature edge is usually more stable when making body changes.
2. When you assemble, use the Assembly4 Insert Screw + Edit Placement by selecting the hole axis.
3. If the assembly includes several of the same screw, you can CTRL select all the appropriate hole axes and insert all the fasteners in one go using Clone Fasteners to Axes.

Simple enough IMHO.

EDIT
Another tip: Add the Fasteners toolbar to the Assembly4 workbench so that you have a visual of the types of screws if you are not an expert in ISO designations.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

This is (my) the design that I was using to learn Assembly4.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcv1ubxnbddh8 ... FCStd?dl=0

I placed fasteners as Vicent suggested before. There were some places where I could not create the LCS like in some boards. Then I reused it from other parts but I would prefer to have them in the right plane, directly. Maybe this is the issue with the Vincent's workflow.

I also could not reproduce what Zolko explained to me. Maybe it has some missing parts or I am not completely understanding it.

Ppemawm, thanks for sharing your method. I am going to experiment with your approach. If it is not the same as Zolko's at least it looks easier for me to understand. Also, it is good that you have mentioned the fasteners types. Yeah, I am not a fastener wizard, so your suggestion is also appreciated.