Sphere Diameter Units

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
piratcollective

Sphere Diameter Units

Postby piratcollective » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:38 am

All the measurements for most primitive shapes seem to be given in units. (In my case inches) This makes arranging and scaling them properly very easy. However, the radius for a sphere primitive seems to have no units. This makes incorporating a sphere shape into my part impossible since the scale of the sphere and everything else in the drawing are different. Is this a bug? Is there some setting I'm missing somewhere?

Please help me if you can, Thanks.

Benjamin
NormandC

Re: Sphere Diameter Units

Postby NormandC » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:22 am

Hello Benjamin,

First, please read the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" topic located at the very top of this forum. Right underneath the "NEWTOPIC" button you clicked on to create this topic...

It explains how to easily provide your FreeCAD info which includes full version and revision number, operating system and a bunch of technical stuff that is sometimes relevant to us.

The base unit system in FreeCAD is in millimeters, and has always been. It's taken years to implement inches because the FreeCAD developer team is small (3 main developers, maybe 10 people contributing in total in their spare time) and no one had volunteered to help in this regard. The lead developer being European (and a lot of the devs are too) this was deemed low priority until now.

The inches implementation has finally started this year, but it is not fully complete in the current stable version of FreeCAD. So in places where you don't see units, you can assume the values are in millimeters. There is a handy Units calculator in the Tools menu. The sphere radius value is the only field not supporting units, the placement coordinates do support it.
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 am

I checked the code and most of the primitive geometries do not properly support units yet. This shouts for a feature request...
keithsloan52

Postby keithsloan52 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:18 am

I got notification about the mantis feature. Hopefully that will also mean I will get notified when its complete as I will have to update OpenSCADs exportCSG.py when done.
bejant

Postby bejant » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:07 pm

wmayer reported this as issue #1652
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:32 pm

git commit f24e216 supports units for all primitives.