Assembly-4 and TechDraw collaboration?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Batucada

Assembly-4 and TechDraw collaboration?

Post by Batucada »

Is there a way to create a view in TechDraw that can be derived from an Assembly-4 model view in the manner of a conventional assembly drawing?
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly-4 and TechDraw collaboration?

Post by Zolko »

Batucada wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:13 pm Is there a way to create a view in TechDraw that can be derived from an Assembly-4 model view in the manner of a conventional assembly drawing?
Did you try ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

Zolko wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:05 pm
Did you try ?
But not very often. I had made a selection of parts of the model, maybe 7 or 8 parts out of a total of 35. The selected parts were then scattered across the drawing sheet. I stopped and closed the drawing sheet. After closing, the parts were no longer scattered, but had a reduced scale compared to the unselected parts of the model. Under these conditions I preferred to cancel the programme without saving the model. Apparently something is already working, but not or not yet in the desired way.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Batucada wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:13 pm Is there a way to create a view in TechDraw that can be derived from an Assembly-4 model view in the manner of a conventional assembly drawing?
As far as I know, TechDraw plays nicely with Assembly4. If you have a counter example, please share.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Batucada wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:58 am Apparently something is already working, but not or not yet in the desired way.
from what I see it mostly works, but it's very slow, so if you have a complex assembly you need to let it work.

If you want to make exploded view, you can use the Configurations for that : create a default Configuration with all parts in their default position, then create an exploded view where you change the AttachmentOffset of the parts (and also their visibility of you want), create a Configuration for that view, and add that view to TechDraw. In order to not update the drawing when you change Configurations, you need to freeze the corresponding view.

I'd suggest to begin with a simple assembly. I'm just now trying it out with a larger one, and it's *REALLY* slow
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

Zolko wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:45 pm
Batucada wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:58 am Apparently something is already working, but not or not yet in the desired way.
from what I see it mostly works, but it's very slow, so if you have a complex assembly you need to let it work.

If you want to make exploded view, you can use the Configurations for that : create a default Configuration with all parts in their default position, then create an exploded view where you change the AttachmentOffset of the parts (and also their visibility of you want), create a Configuration for that view, and add that view to TechDraw. In order to not update the drawing when you change Configurations, you need to freeze the corresponding view.

I'd suggest to begin with a simple assembly. I'm just now trying it out with a larger one, and it's *REALLY* slow
Well, that was actually just an idea to see if I could use it later on, I tried it out without knowing if it was even possible. At the moment I have a lot of other things to worry about, which are putting a lot of pressure on my schedule.