Loft to a Point

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uofmrob

Loft to a Point

Post by uofmrob »

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to figure some things out. I don't have a specific need for what I'm trying to do, but I'm trying to learn how to use some things in FreeCAD. I've seen some forum posts and looked in the directions and they all seem to suggest that it's possible to make an additive loft in part design from a sketch to a vertex. I've tried to go from a sketch to a datum point, a point in a sketch or a point from a draft and none of them are able to be used to create an additive loft. I can get it to work by having a sketch with some profile for the base and then a second sketch with a circle that has a very small radius, but if it's a point of any kind, it isn't working. This is what it says in the additive loft documentation:
Vertices can only be either the start or end of a loft. Otherwise the loft body would consist of two solids connected at a single point. This would violates the CAD kernel's definition of a 3D object.
How can I create a "vertex" that can serve as the beginning or end of an additive or subtractive loft?
Thanks!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Loft to a Point

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Create a sketch with only a point. Make sure it is real and not construction geometry.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Just to expand on chrisb's statement, Point is the only geometry that is created as Construction by default (displayed red in Sketcher 3D space by default), the user then has to select it and click the Toggle Construction button to make it real geometry (displayed white in Sketcher 3D space by default). I'm sure there was a discussion in the past as to why point behaves differently to line etc, I personally still use Draft>Point as it's so easy to use.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

try Macro_D_Un_Jour_Raccord_2_Objects_By_Its_Faces (Part workbench)

point to face
pointToFaceLoft00.png
pointToFaceLoft00.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 526 times

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
uofmrob

Post by uofmrob »

Great! Thanks, everyone for the quick replies! I tried again by switching the point in a sketch to a normal point (don't know how I missed that) and it still didn't work in 0.19 (that's the latest stable in Linux from the PPA) and also in the realthunder fork that fixes the topological naming problem. But when I tried the 0.20 appimage, it worked fine. It seems that there was maybe a little bug that got fixed in the most recent release.
Thanks again!
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

uofmrob wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:05 pm Great! Thanks, everyone for the quick replies! I tried again by switching the point in a sketch to a normal point (don't know how I missed that) and it still didn't work in 0.19 (that's the latest stable in Linux from the PPA) and also in the realthunder fork that fixes the topological naming problem. But when I tried the 0.20 appimage, it worked fine. It seems that there was maybe a little bug that got fixed in the most recent release.
Thanks again!
No, it just didn't work in 0.19. The capability was added in 0.20 if I remember correctly.

Also, I think the latest release is 0.20.1. The PPA may be a bit outdated.

Edit: I think it actually did work in Part workbench, but, not Part design in 0.19.
Last edited by drmacro on Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
uofmrob

Post by uofmrob »

Thanks for the info!