Issue - Pad error (Bug?)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Issue - Pad error (Bug?)

Post by chrisb »

Bance wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:26 pm I do however know a bit about sketches.
Confirmed.
(Even without seeing your FreeCAD infos.)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
Wall_SHALM.FCStd
(60.41 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Capture d’écran 2022-10-01 183001.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-10-01 183001.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 664 times
lordsansui

Post by lordsansui »

Bance wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:26 pm
lordsansui wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:50 pm Looks like you don't know the requirements needed for a loundspeaker.
I agree I don't have a clue about loudspeakers, I do however know a bit about sketches.
Me too, besides it's my first time using FreeCAD, but good luck to achieve the same Loundspeaker performance using a different sketch.
lordsansui

Post by lordsansui »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:22 pm If you pad Sketch001 and then Sketch002 the result would be a Body containing two separate solids, this is not allowed. So padding has to occur in such an order that the single solid rule is obeyed.
Thank you for helping, Once I can't PAD one after another and PAD them all together has the same issue, I see no other option, maybe I need to disable something anywhere. Could you indicate me the right order?

I'm going to check again to find something in the official documentation, at least in the PAD section, link below, there is no clear indication about order.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PartDesign_Pad
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Oh an audiophile..... don't forget to line the inside with fairy dust, and gold plate the connectors. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Please look at this simplified example:

If you pad the red sketch first, you cannot pad the white sketch second, as there would then be two solids with a gap.

To create a single solid with each step the following padding orders are possible:
red-blue-white
white-blue-red
blue-red-white
blue-white-red

Please also read Part_and_PartDesign.
Attachments
3sketches.png
3sketches.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 592 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

lordsansui wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:19 pm ...
I'm going to check again to find something in the official documentation, at least in the PAD section, link below, there is no clear indication about order.
You won't find anything about "order" I suspect. The people here are using the term "order", because the workflow you've chosen (master/master-subset sketches) means the sequence you pad things in will determine if the Pad operation will work or fail.

I think you need to understand the Part Design paradigm more.

When you create a PD Body, you have defined a container that will contain a single, solitary, cumulative solid. Each feature (Pad/Pocket/etc. operation) in the Body is cumulative (and the result of the feature is NOT an atomic solid). The result of each feature MUST result in a single solitary solid (that is an accumulation of it's predecessors).

So, if you Pad one sketch, then attempt to Pad another sketch, but the result of the second Pad does not touch the result of the first, then the feature fails. In you case, you need to Pad the sketches in a sequence that keeps the result cumulative.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

drmacro wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:59 pm
Thank for re-iterating my very first post.....

Let's hope something will come of it.
lordsansui

Post by lordsansui »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:52 pm Please look at this simplified example:

If you pad the red sketch first, you cannot pad the white sketch second, as there would then be two solids with a gap.

Please also read Part_and_PartDesign.
Thank you a lot Roy, now I understood clearly, the solid created by the PAD must be in contact each other to be identified as a single solid, so the first model I mad I was just lucky that the sequence I used respect the rule, while in the second one not.

Issue fixed.
Bance wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:21 pm Oh an audiophile..... don't forget to line the inside with fairy dust, and gold plate the connectors. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not an audiophile, but I'm engineer, and there is reasons for things to exist and to be done in a specific way, you liking it or not, and criticizing my sketch not knowing in the first place the reasons behind it isn't wise from your side. The help request was related to PAD issue. Is't not a problem if you don't like my sketch, it's just that you can hold this option for yourself if it doesn't contribute to fix the issue.

If you tried to help, thank you too anyway.
lordsansui

Post by lordsansui »

drmacro wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:59 pm

Thank you too, different software have different requirements.

In other software I can have a "single solid body" while it is splited I mean, no contact between elements, so this requirement wasn't clear too me until Roy pointing out, so, you did the same next.

Thank for the help and the effort to clear FreeCAD requirements to me.

thanks all for all contribution.
Last edited by lordsansui on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.