Transferring a feature from an Assembly to a component

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
luggw1

Transferring a feature from an Assembly to a component

Post by luggw1 »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 0d9536ed3e8c7f40197b5606e1b7873625e1d6fe
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

For some time now I've been working on a model of a roundhouse (snapshot below). So far I modeled parts through stall 14 (stalls are numbered 1 on the lower left through 14 on the upper right. The completed model will be 27 stalls.)
RoundHouse.png
RoundHouse.png (65.35 KiB) Viewed 440 times
I've been assembling the many components using the Assembly4 workbench, which has worked well. You will note an interior dividing wall between stalls 7 and 8. Note also the short four-window walls that run around the middle intersect the dividing wall. Below is a snapshot of the area I'm referring to.
MezannineWallAtInteriorWall.png
MezannineWallAtInteriorWall.png (47.6 KiB) Viewed 440 times
I would like to use FreeCAD to tell me exactly where in the dividing wall I need to punch a hole to insert the ends of the four-window walls. I've found I can use the Part-Section tool to establish a section at the intersection of one of the four-window walls and the dividing wall in the Assembly file, but I don't see any way to get that info back into the file that contains the model for the dividing wall.

So, is there a way to transfer that section info back to the model file for one of the components of an assembly? Alternatively, is there some other way I can extract this information and transfer it back to the dividing wall model file?

As a last resort, I can always go back to the individual model files, do the math and figure out where the hole should go, but there's a lot of room for error there and this just seems like a natural extension of the Assembly workbench.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bill Lugg