Best practice for enclosure design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
M-a-x-G

Best practice for enclosure design

Post by M-a-x-G »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.20)
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.9.13, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
I am relatively new to CAD, done five simple designs; and I am now trying to build a parametric Arduino enclosure, which can be easily modified for different sizes / use cases.

I am wondering about a bunch of things:
a) should I start at x0/y0 with a corner of the box, or should I use 0,0 as centre point of the box (bottom plane)
b) I am asking a) because of the use of symmetry and mirrors (unless it is possible to position construction lines based on parameters; e.g. length / 2)
c) I'd like another movable body I can offset from the same corner for the posts to affix the Arduino. (Is this how the pros do it?)
d) I'd like multiple front panels I can switch on and off, with the holes for USB, Ethernet, Power connectors. I suspect this is done with multiple bodies that are switch on/off as required?!

For an analogy; when I started coding I got told to do this and that, and after a relatively short time, I figured the way I was told is not the best at times not even the proper approach. Things like proper naming of variables, coding and style guides, etc. Doing these things properly then allows other to maintain the code... and here allowing to help with a design, because it is properly set up, e.g. parametric, logical constraints, proper use of planes, etc. In short: building a model properly.

Also, I could not figure out how to start the lug (for the lid bolts) not at the bottom, but rather 20mm from their current recessed top plane. Any hints appreciated.

Are there any professional online courses, rather than basic user stuff people can recommend?

Probably an off-topic question: As for 3D printing these boxes, do people test print a few holes and see, whether they can screw into these without cutting threads; or are inserts being used to affix circuit boards?
Attachments
AIC_ElecEnclosureParametric_v0.2.FCStd
(112.05 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Everything needs to be defined...
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Best practice for enclosure design

Post by drmacro »

There are 25 videos in this series on learning FreeCAD, one even does a box with lid and hinges:

https://youtu.be/AvKi8sOd4v4
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Best practice for enclosure design

Post by Shalmeneser »

a) should I start at x0/y0 with a corner of the box, or should I use 0,0 as centre point of the box (bottom plane)
If the object has symmetry, use symmetry. Sketcher_CreateRectangle_Center is a great tool.
b) Is it possible to position construction lines based on parameters; e.g. length / 2 ?
Of course. Give name to a dimension (alias) and use it outside the sketch (sketch.constraints.alias) : Expressions

----
You should construct a body around its own axis, then move the body around the other bodies (transform, manipulator, assembly, ...)