OK to swap between Part and Part Design WB's ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
npomeroy

OK to swap between Part and Part Design WB's ?

Post by npomeroy »

Using Version 0.20
Sequence:
-new
- part design WB
-create body
- import (SVG file from Inkscape, which is longitudinal section of half barrel) - as geometry
- path appears on screen, select it

Now I want to rotate the 2D shape into a barrel, if I go PD-revolution I get the message "cannot use selected object- must belong to active body". I've read some threads on this but can not see how to make that path part of the body. Anyhow, IF I change to Part WB I can use "Revolve" and get the resulting 3D model. I can even export this to the 3D printer slicer software and it is accepted.
However, if I change back to Part WB in order to access "hole" I again get the "cannot use..." message.

Is there a good explanation of Model tree hierarchy that would help, or am I swapping between workbenches wrongly? Is this part of the "topological naming" issue?

Cheers
Nelson
Bance
Veteran

Re: OK to swap between Part and Part Design WB's ?

Post by Bance »

NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

PartDesign wb is based on sketches, shapebinders, datums and operations leading to solid geometry. All of them contained withing bodies. Part wb doesn't rely on bodies and its operations allow also for surface modeling. If you want to operate on wires (lines), Draft wb will help you. It's often necessary to mix those 3 workbenches when working with more complicated models. You just have to be careful with that. Sometimes even add-on workbenches like Curves get involved.

If some object supported by bodies (see above) is outside of them, you can drag it to a selected body in the tree.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

File ?
Full version ? (follow link in red banner !)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:32 am PartDesign wb is based on sketches, shapebinders, datums and operations leading to solid geometry. All of them contained withing bodies. Part wb doesn't rely on bodies and its operations allow also for surface modeling. If you want to operate on wires (lines), Draft wb will help you. It's often necessary to mix those 3 workbenches when working with more complicated models. You just have to be careful with that. Sometimes even add-on workbenches like Curves get involved.

If some object supported by bodies (see above) is outside of them, you can drag it to a selected body in the tree.
Part workbench is quite capable of using sketches. Entire, complex models can be made with sketches in Part workbench.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

drmacro wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:20 am Part workbench is quite capable of using sketches. Entire, complex models can be made with sketches in Part workbench.
Yes, of course. I just listed objects that are contained within bodies in PartDesign. Part also uses sketches and solid modeling operations but it also include surface modeling. Too bad datums are only available within bodies.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:26 am .... Too bad datums are only available within bodies.
Other than providing the occasional arbitrary axis for a mirror or revolve, I don't use them.

But, let's not hijack this thread.

To the OP's question; Part and Part Design workbenches can be used together effectively if the user understands the rules and subtleties of doing so.

Mixing them without this understanding will be, at a minimum, confusing.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Short answer: use a shapebinder to be able to have a linked copy of the imported wire inside the body so you can use it on Part Design.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Import the SVG as geometry
In Draft wb select all (I had to delete some bad lines that was in my imported file)
Convert the selection in Sketch and delete the original import
Open the sketch and add coincident constraints and a construction line as a centerline for rotation.
Close the sketch and make a Body
Drag the sketch into the Body
Rotate the sketch around the construction line
phpBB [video]
npomeroy

Post by npomeroy »

Willem wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:38 pm Import the SVG as geometry
In Draft wb select all (I had to delete some bad lines that was in my imported file)
Convert the selection in Sketch and delete the original import
Open the sketch and add coincident constraints and a construction line as a centerline for rotation.
Close the sketch and make a Body
Drag the sketch into the Body
Rotate the sketch around the construction line
Thanks Willem, and other responders. I could not get sound on that video - is that intentional? I need to follow more tutorials, and try out the suggestions, before posting further questions I think. I felt very pleased to have succeeded in importing the svg and creating my barrel shape, but got stuck trying to make further modifications to it.

Attached is the file.
Barrel strobe 3D.FCStd
(8.91 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Edit:

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3

Cheers
Nelson