FreeCAD crashes on Redo

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
aflorz

FreeCAD crashes on Redo

Post by aflorz »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30988 (Git) Snap 426
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 0679c40d26ab2f48ca0f8cd0c34ac3bdbdacec54
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.5, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * parts_library
FreeCAD crashes for me almost every time I press Redo if the file I'm working on is larger than the most basic of files. It's not 100% of the time. For example, I'm trying to recreate it now after just opening the file and doing a simple command then undoing/redoing and it's not crashing. But if I've been working on something for a while and I need to press Redo, I always Save right before because I know it will almost definitely crash. The window just disappears when it happens. It's happened once or twice after an Undo as well.

Edit: If it happens again, I'll post the log.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD crashes on Redo

Post by thomas-neemann »

aflorz wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:35 pm ...
I don't use it anymore, but save every few minutes by hand
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you be more specific? What workbench are you in? If it happens so often, it should be reproducable step by step
aflorz wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:35 pm Edit: If it happens again, I'll post the log.
Please note that the system log is not as interesting as the FreeCAD log, which you get with commandline parameter --write-log.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

there is probably a big error due to an invalid modification
Try to attach the file to us, there are probably operations marked red
aflorz

Post by aflorz »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:31 pm Can you be more specific? What workbench are you in? If it happens so often, it should be reproducable step by step

Please note that the system log is not as interesting as the FreeCAD log, which you get with commandline parameter --write-log.
I *think* it was any workbench, but I'm not positive. I'm trying to get it to crash now, but it's not happening, so I assume it only happens after I've been working with a file for a long time, or after some specific command. Sorry, I guess I should have tried to get more information before posting this. I'll open FreeCAD with --write-log from now on and I'll try to pay attention to what I'm doing when it happens again.
aflorz

Post by aflorz »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:14 pm there is probably a big error due to an invalid modification
Try to attach the file to us, there are probably operations marked red
This is the file that last crashed the program, but I don't see any errors. I may have fixed them between the time it crashed and how it looks now.
minuteclockhand.stl
(543.54 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

aflorz wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:14 pm This is the file that last crashed the program
That is not an FC file it is therefore useless in this context.....
aflorz

Post by aflorz »

Bance wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:17 pm That is not an FC file it is therefore useless in this context.....
Oops, sorry! I can't upload the actual document because it is larger than the max upload size, but here is the last backup that was under 1 MB.
clockhand2.FCStd
(637.48 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

aflorz wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:24 pm Oops, sorry! I can't upload the actual document because it is larger than the max upload size, but here is the last backup that was under 1 MB.
You can vastly reduce the size to almost the half by removing the imported mesh.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
aflorz

Post by aflorz »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:36 pm You can vastly reduce the size to almost the half by removing the imported mesh.
Oh, yep, brought it to just under.
clockhand.FCStd
(963.22 KiB) Downloaded 14 times