Importing a jpg

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
h.dale

Importing a jpg

Postby h.dale » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:20 pm

I have been using Sketchup and would like to design aircraft with FreeCad. I was able to import jpg or gif files to use as a pattern to create parts and for placement. Can that be done with FreeCad? I have attached a picture of what I would like to do.

Thanks for any help.
Attachments
13-25.jpg
13-25.jpg (140.9 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
wmayer
Site Admin

Re: Importing a jpg

Postby wmayer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes. Go to the Image workbench and use the 2nd button on the mini-toolbar (that one with two identical icons). If the icon is disabled create a new document first.
Now a file dialog comes where you have to select your JPG. After this a second dialog comes where you can define a work plane. Just leave the default values and click OK. If you start to draw your stuff with the sketcher or the draft now you have to make sure to define the same work plane as above.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Since this is a help request, I moved this topic from the "Open discussion" forum to the "Help on using FreeCAD" forum.
h.dale

Postby h.dale » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 pm

THanks for the help. The file came in okay but it didn't ask for the work plane. Once I import where do I go from there?
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:23 am

h.dale wrote:THanks for the help. The file came in okay but it didn't ask for the work plane. Once I import where do I go from there?
Which version do you have? 0.14? If everything went right you should see a plane with an image as texture which you can pan and rotate. So from there you can switch to the sketcher or part design workbench and create a new sketch. You have a couple of geometric entities like lines, arc and circles for the re-design.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:03 am

h.dale wrote:THanks for the help. The file came in okay but it didn't ask for the work plane.

Sounds like you clicked on the first icon ...not the second icon...click on the second icon which puts the picture into the current modelling window....the first icon create a new window which is useless for your purposes.

Of course you haven't told us what version of FreeCAD you're running ....so perhaps you are running something very old?
h.dale

Postby h.dale » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:18 pm

I am using version 14. I just downloaded the latest stable version. This is my first attempt at a true CAD program. It's a little daunting.

You are right I clicked on the first icon not the second.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to draw something like the aircraft I posted? I'm still fuzzy on how I can bring together all of the pieces. If I decide to change the size of the project like you can in Sketchup is that possible?

Thanks for the help
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:24 pm

h.dale wrote: This is my first attempt at a true CAD program. It's a little daunting.
h.dale wrote:I was wondering if anyone has attempted to draw something like the aircraft I posted? I'm still fuzzy on how I can bring together all of the pieces. If I decide to change the size of the project like you can in Sketchup is that possible?
Honestly, start with something much more simple...you have picked something very difficult and complex to start with.
quick61

Postby quick61 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:49 pm

IMO, the thing to do is like Jim said, start out small, learn that part, then move to the next thing. That is not to say you couldn't use the aircraft 3 view/plan as a starting point. Do you have a link to the image that you are using?

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
h.dale

Postby h.dale » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:39 pm

I was going to start with simple parts to the plane such as the formers. I have been watching the videos and working on other simple projects to get used to the concepts and the terminology.