How to add an LCS at a point in a sketch rather than a feature of a body ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Boo

How to add an LCS at a point in a sketch rather than a feature of a body ?

Post by Boo »

Hi,

Is there any way to add an LCS at a point specified by a point in a sketch rather than a feature of a body ?

In the attached file I have a body that is a Pad from a Sketch and I wish to use one of the points in the sketch as the attachment point for a new LCS. The issue is that the "Attach LCS" icon is not available in the sketch workbench so there is no way to attach an LCS while sketch features are visible.

Anyone know how to get around this ?

Thanks,

Boo
Attachments
pivot_plate_002.FCStd
(21.63 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: How to add an LCS at a point in a sketch rather than a feature of a body ?

Post by drmacro »

Close the sketch, select the desired vertex, click the add LCS icon.
Attachments
Peek 2022-11-28 15-20.gif
Peek 2022-11-28 15-20.gif (277.09 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

You can attach the LCS on the sketch when outside the sketcher wb.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (31.93 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Boo

Post by Boo »

Vincent B wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:47 pm You can attach the LCS on the sketch when outside the sketcher wb.
How can you do this when you have already made a pad from the sketch though ? In that case the sketch is hidden except when it is being edited in the sketcher wb ?

Thanks,

Boo
Boo

Post by Boo »

drmacro wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:21 pm Close the sketch, select the desired vertex, click the add LCS icon.
I do not have a model vertex at the point I wish to add the LCS ? In the sketch from which the model is built there is a (Constructive) Point object and I wish to put the LCS at the position of the point.

Thanks,

Boo
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Boo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 am
drmacro wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:21 pm Close the sketch, select the desired vertex, click the add LCS icon.
I do not have a model vertex at the point I wish to add the LCS ? In the sketch from which the model is built there is a (Constructive) Point object and I wish to put the LCS at the position of the point.

Thanks,

Boo
Change the point from construction mode to normal geometry. It is then seen outside the sketch.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

you can make the sketch visible again by selecting it in the tree view and pressing the spacebar key
Boo

Post by Boo »

drmacro wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:48 am
Boo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:16 am I do not have a model vertex at the point I wish to add the LCS ? In the sketch from which the model is built there is a (Constructive) Point object and I wish to put the LCS at the position of the point...
Change the point from construction mode to normal geometry. It is then seen outside the sketch.
OK, I have tried that and it works but it seems completely backwards to me ?

I inadvertently used "construction mode" in my post when I meant "normal mode" because the "normal" geometry is used to construct pads etc and I got the terminology wrong, please excuse that.

If you create a sketch with lines and points in the default "normal mode" then lines, arcs etc are created so they are visible outside the sketch (when its visibility is enabled) whereas points are created invisible, is there a reason for that ? It seems unintuitive in use that points should be treated differently from lines etc, especially because the colour-highlighting that identifies the mode for lines does not work for points which are always shown red, regardless of mode ? It would be simpler to have points generated in the mode that the sketcher is in, they do no harm (ie they have no effect on a pad etc) whether they are constructive or normal, so...?

Thanks,

Boo
Boo

Post by Boo »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:22 am you can make the sketch visible again by selecting it in the tree view and pressing the spacebar key
Thanks, that works.

In case it is of interest to anyone working on general useability for FreeCAD, I tried to make the sketch visible before by using the "Hide" / "Unhide" selections but that didn't work. It seems to me that the UI would be more intuitive if the same way of making something visible worked regardless of whether it was a sketc of body etc, I hope nobody minds me pointing this out...

Once again, thanks to everyone who has helped me out with my issues by responding to my questions,

Boo
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Boo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:57 pm ... It seems to me that the UI would be more intuitive if the same way of making something visible worked regardless of whether it was a sketc of body etc, I hope nobody minds me pointing this out...
Space bar hides/unhides any item selected in the tree...sketch, body, feature, etc.

If it's parent is hidden, there is no effect.

If it is occluded by something else, like a solid over a sketch, then it may appear to have no effect, unless the solid is partially transparent or the sketch happens to be in front of the solid.