How to set Grid in back?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mikhail222

How to set Grid in back?

Post by Mikhail222 »

Hi, just started with FreeCAD. I've set grid to show in sketcher, but it draws the grid in front of objects so it looks like in screenshot attached.
How can I set it to show in back?

Attachments
FreeCAD_AjAMOT8tlh.png
FreeCAD_AjAMOT8tlh.png (6.29 KiB) Viewed 533 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to set Grid in back?

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I can't verify this behaviour currently, but my guess is, that you cannot change this.
So I go a step further and recommend to use the grid only for a rough first layout, and then switch it off. It suggests that you have constrained things to the grid which is in fact not the case. The constraints are completely independent from the grid.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Mikhail222

Post by Mikhail222 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:58 am Hi and welcome to the forum!

I can't verify this behaviour currently, but my guess is, that you cannot change this.
So I go a step further and recommend to use the grid only for a rough first layout, and then switch it off. It suggests that you have constrained things to the grid which is in fact not the case. The constraints are completely independent from the grid.
I don't use the grid for constrain, but it helps just to see the size of objects quickly.
So does it mean there are no further customizations at all besides the preferences menu?
I wonder how then users can tweak the looks further? Maybe there is some advanced options via config files or anything?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Mikhail222 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:15 pm I wonder how then users can tweak the looks further? Maybe there is some advanced options via config files or anything?
You can enter something like this in Python Console when Sketcher is in edit mode :

Code: Select all

from pivy import coin
er = Gui.ActiveDocument.ActiveView.getSceneGraph().getByName('EditingRoot')
gr = er.getByName('GridRoot')
gr2 = coin.SoSeparator()
gr2.setName('GridRoot')
gr2.addChild(gr.getChild(0))
er.replaceChild(gr, gr2)
The grid will be drawn behind object, but you won't be able anymore to toggle grid on/off except closing and reopening the doc.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

openBrain wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:05 pm The grid will be drawn behind object
shouldn't this be the default?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:26 pm shouldn't this be the default?
I have no opinion myself (not a grid user) but it has been changed to be like this in Paddle's PR. ;)