fast way to assemble lots of dowels into holes??

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gkoulomz

fast way to assemble lots of dowels into holes??

Post by gkoulomz »

I am new to FreeCad. Is there a faster way of assembling a model containing lots of holed and dowel pins which must go into them? The constant rotating, selecting, and constraining for each dowel/hole is tedious!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: fast way to assemble lots of dowels into holes??

Post by chrisb »

How about telling us more about your project. I'm not even sure if this an assembly question or not.

For now I leave it here so you can directly follow the IMPORTANT link above and thoroughly read how to get access to the excellent help usually provided in this forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Attach your ASAP file, I know that during the first tread you can't put attachments, now you can
it is better to make a single pocket (less luxurious than Hole) and a LinearPatern or Multifunction if the holes are distributed regularly
Same for dowels
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:35 am I know that during the first tread you can't put attachments,
That's not true. We see here first time posts showing everything we need for efficient help, including images and files.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Try the woodworking WB....

https://github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

gkoulomz wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:46 am I am new to FreeCad. Is there a faster way of assembling a model containing lots of holed and dowel pins which must go into them? The constant rotating, selecting, and constraining for each dowel/hole is tedious!
There is feature to create dowels at holes with single click (the dowels size is predefined):
phpBB [video]

but if you want move your dowels into hole position you can use mapPosition feature to map your dowel with the new created. There is no tool that directly move dowel into hole position ;-) maybe this is good idea for new feature? ;-)

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

One sketch controls placement and number of holes and dowels...
Attachments
DowelTemplate.FCStd
(22.29 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Peek 2022-12-09 14-18.gif
Peek 2022-12-09 14-18.gif (501.55 KiB) Viewed 396 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

I added this feature to existing tool mapPosition. And also now is possible to map Sketch to hole to create for example custom countersink and also to face, edge or vertex. So now you can even move the countersink to another hole after Pocket operation.

phpBB [video]

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking