[SOLVED] Selecting superimposing points specifically without fail

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AndroYD

[SOLVED] Selecting superimposing points specifically without fail

Post by AndroYD »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/Hong Kong (en_HK)
Installed mods: 
  * CfdOF 1.18.0
I need to select two points belonging to the two lines on the right, but a third point belonging to the line on the left keeps getting in the way, how would I choose only those two points I want, specifically and without fail?
GIF 9-12-2022 10-36-47 am.gif
GIF 9-12-2022 10-36-47 am.gif (365.6 KiB) Viewed 344 times
I had some success doing it with the Python console, but I haven't figured out how I can know which points names belong to which lines/edges names and that's the crucial information I need to successfully do it everytime.
Last edited by AndroYD on Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Selecting superimposing points specifically without fail

Post by chrisb »

In the GUI you can switch the "Type" in the elements list and then select start or end point by selecting the corresponding element in the list. This selection mechanism has been vastly improved in 0.21, (though it shows also a flaw as it doesn't show the selected point in 3D view if it isn't the topmost).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
AndroYD

Re: Selecting superimposing points specifically without fail

Post by AndroYD »

chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:06 am In the GUI you can switch the "Type" in the elements list and then select start or end point by selecting the corresponding element in the list. This selection mechanism has been vastly improved in 0.21, (though it shows also a flaw as it doesn't show the selected point in 3D view if it isn't the topmost).
Thank you so much for the solution! This is unbelievable, I've actually tried multiple times to find it as people were mentioning it, but I never did because the "Type: Edge" option was always permanently greyed out in three months of using FreeCAD, I thought it required some very specific scenarios to show up that I didn't know yet or the option they mentioned was something completely different.
But turns out all I had to do was uncheck the "Auto-switch to Edge" option and now I have everything under control.
I hope this post helps anyone ending up in the same situation, this is absolutely crazy.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Selecting superimposing points specifically without fail

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure there are lots of widely unknown treasures in FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.