Morons Guide to FreeCAD

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LHC

Re: Morons Guide to FreeCAD

Post by LHC »

Joe - I'm nowhere near as skilled as some of the people you are now chatting with here. I just want to say that you are where I was about 2 years back. I bailed from Fusion 360 about the time they started the second half of Autodesk's "hook em and shaft em" process which I was completely unaware of them doing countless times in the past with other software. Anyway, just wanted to welcome you aboard and encourage you to keep on plugging away at learning FreeCad. I would not say the learning curve is vertical, but perhaps more like 87 degrees - lol. I am always learning new techniques and things I didn't know existed, but I guess that's the nature of the open source world. It evolves fast and the documentation and tutorials struggle to keep up. About the only youtube channel I follow lately is a guy by the title Mango Jelly Solutions - it's fantastic and he has lengthy series of tutorials for brand new users that you can plod through and it will help a lot.
Cheers,
Lewis
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

rich61 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:34 pm ...Kellicam based system.
sheldon-sarcasm-meme.jpg
sheldon-sarcasm-meme.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 542 times
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

This can save you time chasing vertex connections. If you use closed shapes to create the sketch and then use the trim tool, all vertex connections are automatic and guaranteed. The trim tool is very powerful. In the video I make a complex form using overlapping shapes and trim away the unwanted lines, all without clicking on a vertex (except for that adjustment) :) .
Attachments
Trim1.gif
Trim1.gif (300.76 KiB) Viewed 485 times
mp77Bushnell

Post by mp77Bushnell »

joebataz wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:18 pm Now I'm running into "Wire is not closed"
when I try to do a pad.
What EXACTLY does that means? I got everything to look like it does in the book. Did everything without Grid Snap so it all worked.
Confused....

THX,

Joe B
sent you private reply
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

joebataz wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:31 pm Nevermind. I tracked it down to an errant pair of vertices that weren't joined. Which lead me to my next question, is there a tool to join vertices?
There are two: 1) Use coincident constraint in Sketcher; often convenient with Box selection. 2) Sketcher ValidateSketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mp77Bushnell wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:06 am sent you private reply
Why in private? Others may benefit from an answer too.

Please quote only what you directly refer to. That keeps topics shorter and improves legibility. Those who want to see more can easily follow the up-arrow link.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.