Using a Sketch as a reference / construction for a second sketch (plus a little Dodo WB)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheBrick

Using a Sketch as a reference / construction for a second sketch (plus a little Dodo WB)

Post by TheBrick »

Hi,
I may have completely the wrong work flow here but I will explain my aim and how I am try to do it.

I am trying to construct a model of a pair of metal garage doors doors I am building out of cold rolled steel. My plan is to:

1. create a sketch of the opening.
2. create sketch that uses the opening as reference for the frame.(size / clearance offsets)
3. create a sketch that references the frame to create the door frames (size / clearance offset)
4. use the sketches from 2 and 3 together with dodo work bench to create the frame, and doors.

Problems.
1.Once I draw the opening if I start a new sketch I can't reference the "opening" sketch. If I draw all the sketches in one this is now one item.
2. The tutorials I see on dodo involve creating a sketch and padding to crate an object to select the edges to frame. As this is just a frame in a plane how to I achieve creating an object from the sketch that is just in the plane?

Thanks

I am on the Real Thunder branch
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.1128.26244 +5318 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: d45d221edcc7a757eb4e4eb638da0db5ed2759aa
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.6.2
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
WorkShopDoors.FCStd
(6.17 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by TheBrick on Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bance
Veteran

Re: Using a Sketch as a reference / construction for a second sketch (plus a little Dodo WB)

Post by Bance »

Post the file you have.
TheBrick

Re: Using a Sketch as a reference / construction for a second sketch (plus a little Dodo WB)

Post by TheBrick »

Added to OP but not much in it as I could not achieve what I needed to
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

it's a good start, use your 1st sketch as a master sketch on which you redraw 2 sketches using external references on the 1st sketch
Attachments
WorkShopDoors PPB.FCStd
(11.57 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
WorkShopDoors PPB.JPG
WorkShopDoors PPB.JPG (34.75 KiB) Viewed 765 times
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Hi @papyblaise that is what I am struggling with. I can't work out how to reference the first sketch in any new sketches. I can sketch over the top but I am only lining up by eye and fine mouse movements, super zooming in.
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Ahhh is this what I am looking for?
Attachments
magicButton.PNG
magicButton.PNG (42.77 KiB) Viewed 643 times
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Ahhh is this what I am looking for?
magicButton.PNG
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Ok. Progress!

I managed to create a second sketch that referenced the first by sing the button above.
then Iwas able to select the sketch "SkhDoor", select Dodo work bench Insert a section for my angle iron (40x20x4), then select FrameBranchManager and add a frame to my sketch!

new Problems:

1. The top and bottom rail need to be rotated. Selecting the rotate tool from within branch manager results in all the components of the frame being rotated. the tutorials I watch show just selecting one frame element should rotate just the one beam not all, how do I rotate just the one frame element?
2. On all frame elements there are placed with the sketch on the "wrong"edge" of the angle from my POV how do I select which edge the frame should reference against? Something to do with "Base Attachment" from within each one of the structures perhaps?
Attachments
WorkShopDoors.FCStd
(27.96 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

let dodo make dodo (to bed in french), use Sweep from PartWb and the profile will rotate around the frame in the correct orientation
Attachments
frame.FCStd
(13.04 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
TheBrick

Post by TheBrick »

Nice idiom!

Thanks I think I see what you have done. The sweep is in slightly the wrong place but I think this is because of the Angle_40x20x4 sketch is centred around the origin. I am guessing after reading a little about sweep tool and attachments in general.

So now the question is I seem unable to edit the Angle_40x20x4 sketch. It is greyed out, a quick google suggests this is a visibility issue but the "eye" is not crossed out and hitting space crosses it out as expected. This sketch seems to be locked in some way? How can I unlock it to edit?